Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ska ska ska ska ska

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Traditional (First Wave, 1962-1968) (The Specials)

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 2 Tone (Second Wave, 1970s) (The Uprights)

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. New Ska or Ska Punk, ect. (Third Wave, 1990s)(Reel Big Fish)

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. I don't care, ska is just cool.

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  1. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    ska is probably my favourite type of music, and i was just wondering what kind was yer favourite.

2. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    what wave is operation ivy

3. ALL AND ANY!!!!!!!!!!
    SKA FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i particularly enjoy late-third wave stuff, e.g. Jersey
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Any and all is fantastic!! My personal fave is and always will be Less Than Jake, but in the past few months I've really gotten into The Specials and Judge Dread. As of late I've fallen prey to the sounds of Catch 22.

5. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    I agree,any ska is good ska.From Desmond Dekker up to Mighty Mighty BossTones,from the Specials,to skacore bands like Leftover Crack,it's all great music.I want you to know who's the king of the ska,the king of the ska is right there on top,don't rush it man,you will surely lose it,I'm gonna burn your skin,like a blaseing fire-Desmond Dekker,The King of Ska!

6. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    And a Rudeboy is techinally a Jamican gangster in the 70's.Oh and check out an awesome ska band called MU330,they are from ST.LOUIS,they are known around the world for kicking ass.Thank you.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SKA SCENE!(if you are lucky enough to have one)

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Specials are not traditional ska. The Skatellites pretty much created the ska style in the 60's. If you have never heard of them, I suggest you check them out. They do ska covers of pop and r&b tunes from the 60's and 70's. An ancient rasta plays the upright bass like you wouldn't believe!

8. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    dammit you beat me to saying it.

the specials were definitely a part of the two-tone movement (hence the checkers). I used to know the names of all the bands that followed the Skatellites during the trad phase.

To this day I still laugh at the fact that reggae was created from ska because jamaicans were getting too tired from dancing so fast in the heat, so they had to slow down the music.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im not a die hard ska lover, i just came across them when i was lookinjg for more punk bands, and ska just came across to me as "nerd punk". That and the fact that they look like nerds a bit (no offence :D) and yeah. I like reel big fish, goldfinger, and bands like that.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - original Ska was around in the late 1950s/early 60s - Prince Buster etc. The Specials are very much a sort of third generation or wave. So, Ska started in Jamaica and immigrants to Britain brought it to London in the 1960s.

So, some of the Specials were the children of these immigrants (their grandfathers had founded Ska) forming bands along with white punks. So they took the groove of Ska and mixed it with the punk energy of the late 70s punk movement in Britain.

The Specials were at their height in Thatcher's Britain around 1980 and were very much about anti-racism and anti the Conservative Government.

They certainly weren't around in the 1960s and would have been "babes in arms" then!! Their first single "Al Capone" was released in 1979!

There's no excuse for getting this all wrong as the history is on the net :

http://www.thespecials.com/history2.php

STUPID POLLS!!!! :rolleyes:

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So where does Madness fit in here? You've missed out the 80s

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As mentioned above, the chonology in the poll is all wrong!! :mad: Madness were contemporaries of the Specials along with the Selector and the Beat. The Specials leader, Jerry Dammers, was the most influential, but Madness were the most commercial and had the most hit singles in the UK - "One Step Beyond" was the earlier hit single, but the Specials were an incredibly popular live attraction - I saw them in Brighton and it was sold out very quickly.

The First generation os Ska did dent the UK charts with Records like Dave & Ansell Collins' "Monkey Wrench" and "Double- Barrel" and it never went away completely - Toots and the Maytals seemed to have been touring the UK constantly with high-energy Ska! ;)

But the popularity of Ska in the late 70s/early 80s inteh UK was tied up with the Anti-Racism movements in the UK, where punk bands like the clash would play on the same bill as Reggae groups - so members of these bands joined together and formed "New wave" Ska bands through a common interest in fighting racism.

The best Ska I have heard in the last year or so has been from the "Jazz Jamaica Allstars" - they were great live - got everybody dancing an dtheir record "Massive" is definitely one of the best of the last year!! :)

Try this link to hear what Real Ska sounds like!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jon3/jon3jjhome.shtml

[​IMG]

They are as close to the original spirit of Ska as you could get - as in Jamaica it started as musicians trying to play like the US Jazz albums, the DJs were playing.

So Ska started as a cross between Jamaican music like Calypso and US Jazz!

13. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    yeah, you guys are right, i dont know what i was thinking. the specials are probably second wave. madness would probably be in third wave. a rudeboy was originally a jamacan gangster, but its since been associated with a ska fanatic. the only problem is theres so many posers out there. you gotta know your roots, the history, the culture of ska in order to be a true rudeboy ... and some cool clothes wouldnt hurt ;)

14. hc_bass

hc_bass Guest

Sep 7, 2002
    Europe
    I like most ska, I just love variety.

15. Yet another flawed poll, not in design, but in accuracy. How does one lump the Specials in with the 1960's when their debut album, STILL the definitive modern ska-punk record, was released in 1979. Get a clue! Uhhh...forgive the emotional outburst....I see others have been remonstrating.

If the poll were designed properly, my vote would obviously be for the 2Tone era, as I like Madness, the English Beat, the Selecter and the Bodysnatchers. I am glad to see that the album "Dance Craze: the best of British Ska Live" has meade it to CD, but Madness is not on it for legal reasons. Good thing I still have my vintage LP, since the live "Night Boat to Cairo" and "One Step Beyond" are priceless.

Some of the recent Specials efforts have made for wonderful retro fun. I recall the '98 tour when I dressed like the debut album cover...in Arizona...in August...and danced my a$$ off. I practically owned every pretty girl in the room and literally snatched the finest away from her date when the final number began. You guessed it, Specials fans, it was "Nite Klub," a song that a rock power trio I had in the 80's covered with aplomb.

16. Me likes punk ska. Less Than Jake, Rx Bandits, Reel Big Fish, whatever. You know what I'm talking about.

17. All ska is rad, man, it totally needs to come back. Fewer crappy college ska bands too, please!

LONG LIVE THE SKANK!

Madness always seems more in the 2nd wave to me, along with the English Beat et al. 3rd wave ska is more contemporary with punk/ska (SHJ, Skavoovie, Radiation Kings etc.)

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE SKA RECORDS!!! COME BACK!!!! WAAAH!

18. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I thought MU330 broke up.

19. MU330 rocks the casbah twice over!!! An nope! They didn't break up, not never. They have a new album out in fact.

20. Doe Maar (pron. Doo Mawr), a Dutch band from the early 80's that's famous in Holland played some really nice ska (and reggae). Too bad no-one outside of Holland knows them.

Cheers rody