Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ska/Swing/Reggae

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys, a friend asked me to hook up with his band and I agreed. They're a ska/swing/reggae band and to be honest I'm not really familiar with these genres. The songlist that I was given includes alot of songs from "Big Mountain".Any tips or advice are very much welcomed.

Thanks

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Cone41, the best piece of advice I could give for playing reggae and ska is to stick strictly to the groove. IMO, with reggae and ska you can't go wrong with sticking like glue to the line. Remember that the sum is much greater than the parts. If you start to get bored playing the bassline, try to resist the urge to change it as you would in many other kinds of music. The bassline in reggae defines the tune.

After keeping it simple, probably the best advice is to think about tone. Reggae bass is extremely bottom-heavy, and that really deep, loud tone is a big part of the sound of the music. If you crank up the bass knob on the amp and anchor your right thumb on the fingerboard, you can create a big pillowy sound.

Sorry for the long post, but I find playing reggae bass a very spiritual experience, as well as a lot of fun. If I can help, let me know.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for the help guys. Yeah Shoonk, that's them.