Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ska

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Newman, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    If you know what I'm talking about when I say "ska," tell me everything you know about it. Especially things like how to write a ska line, what kind of amp settings to use in concert, and stuff like that. I'm not gonna write a whole lot in this post, I'll leave that up to you guys. Thanks

2. i dont write ska songs
    i just play em

3. I don't know where you are located, but these guys are "SKA" all the way.....Great show men also.... www.the-turnstyles.com ....if you get a chance to see them go for it.....Just about any song can be turned into a ska song, just get the horns to kick in a little......I am working on a couple ska songs with the band I am playing with now...One of them is "C'mon Eileen" the Save Ferris version......

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... ska bass can be a lot of things. Because the genre is a mix of punk music and reggae (mostly, that doesn't speak for all bands), the bass parts range from dub-style bouncy reggae lines to root note punk bass. Listen to some Tony Kanal from No Doubt, he's probably the best ska bassist out there. If you remember Reel Big Fish, they have a reel good bassist, and the bassist for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones kicks booty as well. For far out bass, listen to some Aquabats, those guys play some crazy stuff.

Christos is right, though, ska is really more of a state of mind, "whatever you want it to be." It's debatable as to whether you NEED horns or not to be a ska band, but my general feeling is that it certainly helps. As for amp setting, on my Peavey combo I just flip the switch to "ska" :rolleyes: Again, it's what you want it to be. You could model your voice after any of your favorite ska bands, or throw in some tones that no one is expecting and stand out a little bit. Go nuts! Have fun! Ska is about having a good time, so just play what you want to!

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Ok - how about this, its the only and only DeliSka !

<a href="http://www.homepages.mcb.net/johnnyg/still_crazy/mp3s/delilah.mp3">DeliSka</a>

No horns, but a lot of bouncing !

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    As a bassist who, for the most part, solely plays ska/rocksteady/reggae, here are my two cents: To get a good feel for the various bassline techniques utilized by players in this genre, I would start by listening to some of the more traditional ska/rocksteady/reggae bands and pay close attention to their bassists - Lloyd Brevett of the Skatalites, Aston Barrett (dub/reggae solo artist formerly of the Wailers), Horace of the Specials, Matt Malles of the Toasters (played on albums: This Gun for Hire, New York Fever, Dub 56, Hard Band for Dead, DLTGBYD, and Live in London), Mark Ferranti of Bim Skala Bim, Marcus Geard of the Slackers, Dave Fuentes of Hepcat, and Victor Rice of the New York Ska Jazz Ensemble are just a few that come to mind. You'll notice that each of these bassists has their own uniqe sound and style. In my opinion, bassists from ska-influenced bands such as No Doubt, Reel Big Fish, etc., although good bassists in their own rite, don't make for good examples of ska bass playing in its, for lack of a better term, pure form; but rather, play in more of a punk/pop tradition. The point is that there is no one way to write a ska line; nor, is there one tone or amp setting that is ideal. Experiment to find what suits both yourself and your band.

7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I'll try to put up a few mp3's for you later today.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Davo, props for mentioning The Slackers and Hepcat. These are two of my favourites! The only other band I might add is Dave Hillyard and the Rocksteady Seven which is a sort of Slackers sideproject anyways. Yeah them and Desmond Dekker. Also check the soundtrack to the Jamaican film "The Harder They Come" this has got some of the classics at their best...

9. LiNT

LiNT

Aug 30, 2000
    Oh...I love you guys....I practically have ska runnin through my veins....kudos on mentioning all the nice oldschool bands........but there's quite a few newer ones that i picked up ska from....the suicide machines (their older stuff), sublime, voodoo glow skulls.......they write some great ones....and all I did to pick up ska was just learn as much of it as I could...and eventually it'll just flow.

10. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

check out Catch22 .. crazy bass. punk/ska

the song " Hard to impress " is a good example

11. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    ok what about
    jazz bass
    precision bass?

im thinking jazz bass for ska makes most sense

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've seen bands using both. Another really popular ska choice is the Musicman Stringray. It sort of depends on what kind of ska you are playing as well as your own playing style. Give several basses a try and see what sounds best in the context of your own particular style and group. :)

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Ska is good music to play rather than bog standard punk. It has been around for years and did not start in the 90's with punk , which alot of punk bands are recently being influenced by. My bass playing is influenced by all kinds of music , but I have times where I concentrate on ska , dub and reggae. Robbie Shakesphere (played for Grace Jones and is also a half of Sly & Robbie) is worth listening to. Aston 'Family man' Barret of The Wailers is also a good reggae bass players. If your into recent ska stuff check Norwood Fisher(Fishbone) and Tony Kanal(No Doubt). The bass is very important and distinct in these styles of music so the bass player must be able to provide good basslines.