Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrettAM, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Vot ist zis new musziq called de ska? ;)

Seriously I've never heard of it before-maybe I don't watch enough MTV....
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    it's not new... been longer than Reggae :eek:

you want to talk about real ska or that Nu-Ska mixed with punk?
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm not the smartest person about early ska, new ska, whatever but i like ska alot. Ok, early ska are bands like The Specials, Madness, King Turtle, and many many more. Modern ska is stuff like Mustard Plug, Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish, Less than jake, blah blah blah.

If you have Kazaa or anything like it download these songs to get a good sound of modern ska...

snoop dogg,baby by Reel Big Fish
    all i want is more by Reel Big Fish
    brain on ska by Mustard Plug
    thigh high nylons by Mustard Plug
    the world is new by Save Ferris
    and old less than jake is really good but I dont like there new stuff that much.

I dont know much about the early ska bands I mentioned so maybe someone else could tell him about early ska?
  4. Oh, I thought it was some kind of new-fake-punky-teen-pop stuff, I don't know much about music these days, all I listen to is Jazz anymore hehe.

Edit: Tell me about both. :)
  5. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Old ska is sorta a predescesor to reggae in a way. Use the same, upstroke guitar playing. I'm sure there is a word for it but i dont know for sure. New ska now, is baisically now punk w/ horns in it. and a catchier rythm.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Do a search here and in Recordings and you should find LOTS of info.
  7. Trad and roots ska are basically jazz-reggae. Bands like the Skatalites, and Toots and the Maytalls. Ska is a sped-up reggae, it began in the mid-60's, but during a heatwave in 1967(?) everyone was to hot to dance, play or listen to ska. So they slowed it down and made Reggae. From there, ska recordings made their way to Englad and started the 2nd wave of ska, with bands like Bad Manners, the Specials, English Beat etc. They added a bit of punk energy and helped create Two-Tone ska (note: the Clash's London calling has some heavy doses of ska on London Calling). From there ska came over to the US and the 3rd wave of ska began with bands like the Toasters who added a rock edge and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones who combined it with hardcore. From the Mighty Mighty Bosstones a lot of SoCal bands like Janitors Against Apartheid and Skankin' Pickle started up and then the "modern" punk ska bands like LTJ, RBF, the Hippos etc. came along. The Toasters influenced east coast bands like Spring-Heeled Jack, Skavoovie and the Epitones, the Pilfers etc.

Hope that helps some.
  8. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I love Fishbone's brand of ska
  9. onw word reel big fish (ok maybe 3) he has the funiest lyrics and some realy good basslines
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Damn Bigwig...Damn!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I'm afraid that's quiet wrong! If you were actually being serious! ? ;)

Reggae and Ska are quiet different. Ska was around well before the 60s and has its roots in Calypso. But what started to happen was that Jamaican DJs picked up on US Jazz records in the 1950s and they were very popular - the local bands started trying to play this stuff and that was how Ska was born. So original Jamaican Ska has walking bass lines but no swing and has the off-beat guitar from Calypso - also the music is diatonic - so the walking basslines have chord tones only - no scalar or passing notes, like the Jazz they were emulating.(Jazz without swing or theory!! ;) )

Reggae comes from the same place, but has a lot more rhythmic subtelty than just being "slowed-down" Ska. So for example there were things like "one drop" where the bass avoids the first beat of the measure, creating syncopation - which doesn't happen in Ska - as well as other rhythmic styles which don't appear in Ska.
  12. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Bruce. I have heard some info about the origins of Reggae, but I wasn't sure how Ska fit into this. From what I understand Reggae happened when the local Jamaicans tried to play popular R&B rythms that were coming from the Miami radio stations in the late 50's and 60's. Apparently when they played it they couldn't help but include the rythmic influences of there native music. Sounds like it paralled the development of Ska.
  13. geez thanks bruce. i was getting closer and closer to the end of the thread and nobody had said anything historicaly correct. it was starting to depress me. I love ska. old ska that is. and all this stupid new punky stupid horribly stupid ska just pisses me off. especialy because these guys who listen to it dont know any better. its just sad
  14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i love ska that is. and all that stupid old ska just pisses me off.especially because these guys who listen to it dont know any better.its just sad

Ever heard of anything called an opinion?
  15. Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I had no idea this was anything more than the new label for punk rock that wasn't real punk. The older stuff sounds like something I would like, I'll go check out some of the bands you guys mentioned-thanks again!
  16. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    BrettAM - If you want a good compilation of the british late 70s 2 tone ska bands, check out a disc called, 'dance craze'. There is also a movie that is awesome, but unfortunately, out of print. I'm actually bidding on a vhs copy on ebay right now. I have a feeling the winning bid will be too rich for my blood.
  17. wait and see...i'll be responsible for 4th wave wish!
  18. ScretHate

Jun 29, 2002
    Georgia, USA
    reggae is slowed down ska, not the other way around.

my fav ska bands are reel big fish, the specials, sublime is kinda ska-ish too, but more reggae.

ska bass is fun to play btw :)
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

20. '