skate shoes. designed to break?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Aug 9, 2009.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Back in the day I used to skate bunches. Shoes falling apart was something that had to be realized. Well now I occasionally skate but rarely do tricks or even ollie. I just cruise the street and rarely go to hit some ramps etc. My dilemma is that I bought some circa shoes and after like 2 months of very light usage the seams by were ollie and flips are done came apart! Let me emphasize I barely even used these shoes and have not even ollied in them. They are fitted perfectly fine so my only reasoning is that the manufacturing process is botched so that skaters just buy more shoes. Call me crazy but it seems they are being designed to fail. I personally like skate shoes for comfort and for their casual aesthetics. I've had everything from vans, dvs, emerica, fallen, circa, and much more. What have been your faves? I love the looks of circa and vans....but want something more reliable in terms of my shoes not falling apart. Anyways....my rant is over.

2. Just get a nice pair of swat tactical boots and skate in those... they'll last. Sure, they're probably not ideal for skating, but hey... they last. Or just go with the classics (chucks, airwalk, etc...).

3. JovialEvil

JovialEvil

Jul 23, 2009
    San diego, Ca.
    DC

4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I pretty much exclusively wear vans now. They don't seem to wear out any faster than other types of shoes, but I haven't worn anything other than vans in a long time, so what do I know? :p

5. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    It's called insta relic... I don't know I've stuck with DC, Emerica, and Converse and they've lasted me. All I do now is longboard though so I don't know perhaps you got a lemon? They exist everywher you know. DC and Emerica are my two favorites but I got a pair of Chuck Taylors a year ago and I love them, so comfortable.

6. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    All shoes are designed to break, if they werent you wouldnt need to be their shoes again. That is bad for business. Duh.

7. ive been wearing the same pair of circas for a while now. lopez's. the heal is blown out.. apparently i drag my feet when i walk?

other than that, pretty solid. little to no skating going on.

i had a pair of vans last me about 3 years once. ugly as hell.. but durable.

8. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Lol I'm waiting for a company to sell the gimmick that the shoes are made to break easily and early so you don't have to spend the hours skating to look like you spend hours skating.

9. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Hmmmm...you should pass that on to a shoe compony, jeans companies did that with the stupid premade hole in the jeans.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I disagree with this. there's a difference between legitimate wear and the need for eventual replacement, and plain old shoddy design. Sounds like a case of the latter, but not the norm. I know nothig of "circa" shoes.

11. Converse man. They last for ages.

Skate shoes are designed for visuals only. Not for actual skating in... They simply suck at being shoes. They are all just brand name crap.

And before you say that Converse shoes are just brand name crap, I recommend them from personal experience.

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've tried pretty much all brands and have found out that yes, they just break, so I buy comfortable shoes that aren't too expensive as I tend to go trough two pairs every summer no matter what brand I use. This happens with all shoes though. Even hiking boots are usually done in about 4-5 months. I guess I just don't know how to use shoes correctly. I wan't instruction manuals and warning labels :) Hell, I even pretty much ruin snowboard boots in one season.

Only old shoes that I have are my old army boots. Great for basketball, ballet and swimming.

13. Look at the design of skate shoes from 10 years ago and look at the design now. 10 years ago they were designed way better. You can't even find a pair of skate shoes with lace protection anymore. I doubt that they are designed to fail, but they sure aren't designed to withstand skateboarding like they used to be.

lowsound

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Thanks for input guys. Seems like converse are some pretty solid kicks. I guess I gotta try some!

15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Either this, or making durable shoes cost a lot more than skater kids are ready to pay for.

16. I've always had Vans and Skechers but I personally thought that the Vans lasted longer. They'll always be my faves but I've had a hard time finding ones that I like lately, and they seem to just keep getting more expensive all the time. I still have an old pair that have been with me almost 8 years now... the soles are completely worn down to slicks, and are actually non-existant in the heel, and so they're more like slippers now, but boy are they sure comfy that way.

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My last cons lasted me 5 years, with skating and riding.

My van's are on 2 years and going strong, just got a new pair though. Worn them traveling and hiking and still kicking it.

Don't skate in space boots!

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    haha! well i called Circa a week ago letting em know what was up. never got a response. never buying from them again! i do love the aesthetics of their shoes though. o well!

19. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I've bought both Converse and Circa for years... Had a couple pairs of Osiris and etc. as well. My Converse never provide any ankle support and the soles wear out super quickly, especially when you're footbraking on a longboard... My Circas have been awesome in that regard. It's just the basics, man, leather/nubuck/suede vs. canvas, it's a no brainer.

20. 10 ollies with proper foot drag and converse have bit the dust.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021