Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wizo, May 5, 2003.

1. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    hey i was just wondering who all the skateboarders are here :D ..this is so pointless why am i asking this..oh well
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to. I never learned how to kickflip, but I could do a slew of other tricks, 360 shove-its
    manual shove-its
    360 flips
    varial kickflips(believe it or not, I successfully landed these quite often, but I could never land a regular kickflip)
    as well as a grip of old school ground tricks(casper flips and **** like that)
    and I could ollie pretty friggin high.

but I sucked, I COULD do a lot of ****, just not very well. ;)

I recently broke the front truck from my trusty ZERO deck, since, even though I don't actually skate anymore, I still keep my board around, and **** around with stationary tricks.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  4. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Yeah, I used to rock the boards back in high school. That was our thing, skipping a bit of academia to go bust ourselves to pieces at the local haunts; had to quit, though. Real depressing but with good reason: my plucking hand wrist became unnaturally fragile and I was starting to go too big with my tricks (a failed 14-step ollie at Flinders street station was the catalyst for the END!). The only sport worth watching!
  5. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i havent had the time to skate in a while but i still got the board. i used to be alright.
  6. Yup, I skate, have done for around...3 years now, I am in fact obssessed with Habitat stuff, it's amazing graphics and the boards are gorgeous..I've had about 7 decks since I started skating, and my last 4 have all been Habitat.I've got like a Habitat hoodie, t-shirt and hat as well. I'm not very good though, I don't practice enough, I can do like varial heelflips, fakie and nollie shuv-its, boardslides, 50-50s, smiths, tailslides, 180 normal and fakie. lol.

Admittedly though, over the last 2 years e.g when THPS came out on the Playstation, the popularity of it has boomed, the industry must be making millions more now because of Tony Hawk.
  7. I want to learn how to skate, and
    I have a no name deck sittin in my shed. But I'm killer at tony hawk 4!
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...back in the day...and we won't give an exact date for that, if you don't mind, I did a fair bit of skating.

We're talking in the heyday of sneakin' into empty swimming pools and skateparks, I would suck at the modern street skating stuff - if I were nuts enough to get near a board now, at my advanced age.

I was actually employed for quite a while at a skatepark as the safety patrol/instructor at one point. My proudest tricks were both front and backside ollies (try it in an empty swimming off the coping...wheee...weightlessness is fun! :D) and rock & roll slides.

My last deck was a Sims Lonnie Toft square nose with Independant 151's and Bones wheels.

Once I started playing music, the boards started collecting dust, my hands are just too important to risk.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al

Oh how I would KILL to find some nice, clean, empty bowls around here! NO ONE has round-bottom pools!
    I totally agree with the importance of the reason I've calmed ALOT of my skating and related activities. It cost me a small sponsorship, but I got a few free decks and t-shirts out of it while it lasted. (Shuvit ROCKS!!) Needing my hands for bass is another reason I wouldn't feel bad about spending $200 on goalie gloves for soccer, too. At least I can sell my old I'm stuck with a perfectly good pair of goalie gloves going unused. :(
  10. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I skateboarded for a few years, and i was getting pretty good, but i dont so much anymore, there was no one to skate with, and i started playing bass. Its fun once in a while when i do skate, though.
  11. I used to skate a while back but i fell out of it. I just got back into skating but i skate with a long board around my college campus, it's a good way to get around and i get tons of compliments on my board since no one around the north east coast really rides long boards.
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm with Gard here kickin it old school! I used to skate 1/2 pipe, and anything else with a surface, in the early eighties. Fatter boards, bigger wheels, and beefy trucks. The days of Neil Blender, Christian Hosoi, Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, etc. I think my last board was a Neil Blender with Indie's, and rat bones. I broke my left wrist doing a front side ollie and accidentally hooking up on the coping.... the board stayed and I fell on my hands, not my knees.

I also skated slalom and street stuff in the 70's. I had a G&S fiber flex board with big old OJ wheels. Pimpin' it big!
  13. I used to skate, but I hurt myself too much and it wasn't worth my time. The only thing I really had fun doing was ollie-ing over big objects, especially trash cans. I could do kickflips, varials, heelflips, and hardflips, but I just got lazy after a while.
  14. I aggressive blade if that counts...

i think thats part of the reason of my tendonitus... oh well.

i got salomon sti-pro's. need some new parts, but ive been thinking about getting thew new Shima4s or USD Deshi...
  15. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    half pipes rule! im not a big bowl fan, maybe thats a pain issue. after pipes my favorite would be just rails and then launch ramps and platforms.

as far as manufacturers, the best boards are zoo york boards, number nine, adrenaline, and powell peralta was the weapon of choice in the days of yore. wheels have to be hard and at least 65mm, i never got the whole little wheel thing.

if anyone comes through atlanta the vans park is pretty cool, in plano texas the eisenberg is cool too.

i've still got all my old vids, the green maple vid still gets alot of play, all the zoo's were awesome and ive got a gadgillion 411's.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I still got one of the aluminum skinned G&S boards with a set of Gull Wing trucks and Kryptonics 70's on it for slalom!

Ain't doin' me no good in the flatlands of central FL though! :p
  17. I used to about 2 years ago. I quit because A) I wasnt very good at it; B) I hate the sk8tr culture that surrounds it. I mean, with most skaters if you dont dress like they do, your just a poser. And if you do dress like them your just another Stoner rebel skater type. I just wanted to skate I didnt want to be part of a culture. Thats my gripe about it, Peace.
  18. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    id say most buts it all actually skaters that i know that are good arent part of a skating culture, theyre certainly not stoners either. culture is all perspective, i think you attributed alot of those qualities in your mind. i dunno i never went to the "popular spots" which was like a parking lot with a gap, whoah. i kinda stayed in downtown or at a skatepark.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used to skate way back when. Only did it for a few years, then I go interested in music...and then I went through a couple of growth spurts and lifestyle changes, and came out big as a bear. I weigh like 230, which is too much to bother boarding. Not so much that I can't skate, but at my current weight, I'd break more boards and trucks than I care to spend.

But, over the next year or so, I'm enrolling in a bunch of weight training classes in college, gonna start moving more. I'd start skating again if I could get down to about 180-170ish. A lot of skaters seems to be around 150-170, so I'd be in good shape to start again. Just need to cut some flab.

With any luck, I'll inherit some of my cousin's skateing mojo. He is by all accounts a world class skater (with the hospital bills to prove it), but doesn't want sponsors or any sort of coverage, but he's had more than a few offers to go full pro. And I was a quick learner and seemed pretty decent. Hopefully my phyiscal shape'll improve a bit.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have an old Powell Peralta board with indy trucks and Kryptonic C-70 greens. Ultimate street wheels. Gotta spare pair never ridden on.

I can ollie, and tick-tack. Don't do the ramp so well anymore.

My insurance isn't that good!