1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SKB ATA Roto Case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aram, May 20, 2011.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Quick question(s) here for those that use the SKB ATA Roto case for travel:

ATA Roto Electric Bass Case by SKB Cases

Do these fit through the security scanner that luggage goes in? Or do they have to be checked with oversized luggage?

My preference would be to bring it with me and then either gate check it or (better yet) bring it on the plane.

Thanks!

2. tomana

tomana

Apr 12, 2012
    found myself wanting answers to the same questions. Anyone?

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Alas I have the answer:

They do fit through the scanners. My recommendation is to take it all the way to the gate, and gate check it. There it gets put under in a bay with the strollers and wheelchairs, but you can pretty much watch it get put there and (if you're off the plane soon enough) taken out.

Have made several r/t trips to the West Coast this way and my F bass has remained unscathed so far!!

4. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Will a Mono case fit inside? Anyone knows?

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're doing a good chunk of truck & plane traveling, I can't recommend their ATA Waterproof case enough. I looked at the Roto case, but heard too many stories about them popping open or cracking, etc. The case I linked, has wheels, it is a bit on the long side...and every time, they think it is a weapon. It has survived just over a year of heavy road use with only a few scratches. My bass, is 100% protected.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=655&o=&offset=1&c=84&s=75#

6. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Thank you for the tip. I'm a bit concerned about stories of Roto cases showing up in pieces on the conveyer belt... apparently skb has upgraded the latches, but still I'd prefer peace of mind.
    I actually had my eyes on the case you linked, I will probably end up with that one :)

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mine didn't. I did a lot of trips to the mainland with the Roto, worked ok. I added straps to keep the two side together in case that latches failed, but they were the newer ones and they held. I use the SKB waterproof one now.

8. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks Jerry, that pretty much settles it for me: I'll go waterproof!