1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SKB Bass Safe - quick question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianh, Feb 22, 2008.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hey guys,

I'm headed out on the road Wednesday and I need a flight case ASAP. I was forced to check my P-bass last week while flying home from Florida and the neck got cracked. No more risks.....

So, unless anyone can recomend something better, I think I'm going to give the SKB Bass Safe a try.

A few questions though:

-Can it hold a double gig bag with 2 basses?

-Whats the deal with the latches? I've heard of some people having problems with the flight security people not closing it correctly and them opening in route....how can I avoid this?

Any tips for using this thing would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

2. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I own one.

I have two double gig-bags (Lakland and Fender) and neither will fit in the bass safe.

As for the latches, you'll be at the mercy of the TSA brain trust. You need to make sure that you fully rotate the levers clockwise (and then push them flat) when closing the case.

I know John Turner uses SKB cases designed for golf bags for his basses, you may want to check those out as they may handle a double gig bag.

3. SevenReasons

SevenReasons

Nov 18, 2005
    Alberta
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Guitars, Ashdown Amps
    Hey buddy. I'm out on a ship gig right now and i've had to fly with my bass 9 times in the last year with the bass safe so here are some tips. First off its a great idea and it's really nice to be able to have a bag once you reach your destination rather than lug around a hard shell. It will not fit a double bag. Once you check your case with security and they scan it, make you take it out, bla bla bla, take some duct tape once the case is latched up and tape it end to end. If for any reason your latched don't stick (which has happened a few times to me) the tape keeps your case together and it works just fine.

Its a great case, very tough. I can't stress enough how nice it is to not lug a hard shell case around this ship. Like i said the only "flaw" is that the latches occationally pop open and the duct tape method works like butter.

4. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    +1 to what has been said before.

One thing: It DOES fit a double gig-bag (undercover), but with only ONE bass inside...