1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SKB bass soft case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chef, May 20, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Attached Files:

• skb.
      skb.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
  2. I have their rectangular model and it recently survived a monsoonal rainstrom in the back of my truck; all compartments and jazz bass were dry as a bone, and the thing dried out before the gig was over. It's light, well made, and worth the money IMO. I like the fitted look of the one you show and may try it for my P.

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I use the Road Runner gig bags, soft a ton of big compartments, well padded, nice bag for the money..

4. I do. Bought one earlier this year and love it. A great alternative to a heavy hard case. Plus, it's much friendlier to doorjams and furniture at the house where we practice.

Roger

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks Roger!
    What bass do you use it for?

6. I have a mix of Squier and Fender Precision and Jazz Basses. I've had both Ps and Js in the case, and it seems to work equally well for both. I use it for my case to take whatever bass I'm using for practice that night.

I would note that I do wish that SKB had used a plastic handle instead of the fabric. It's a bit harder to direct the case with the wobbly fabric handle.

Roger

7. BigdaddyJG

BigdaddyJG

Apr 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do you think it would fit a EBMM Stingray 5?

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Roger Baer has one for his Nordy VJ5. Its a very good fit. Nice case. I'd like it if it had more storage.

9. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Yep, the Nordy VJ5 fits perfectly. Lots of protection, well made and at a great price. I think if I was going to buy another case though, I would get the rectangular case instead. Only because all my other cases are rectangular and it makes stacking them up against the wall a bit easier. I do like the way the shaped case fits right behind the front seat of my truck, though.

When I was trying to find out if the Nordy would fit, I called SKB and the rep told me he wasn't sure about a Nordy, but that a Stingray 5 string does fit.

...Oh, by the way Alan, Bruce would like it if it had more storage, because he needs a place to put one of those cute little "tea cup" amps. ;)

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Damn skippy! Those cute little amps make my life easier. Obviously its not in the same league as the Valkyrie head, but for most quick in and out gigs the little cuties work for me.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I have gig bags "with amp storage," but my lil teacup amp came with it's own bag, that has a compartment for cables.
    My M9 is racked, and the rack has cable space.

So, I don't really care of my gig bag holds an amp; tho I get why some people like this.

12. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    stupid question given its name ("universal"), but think my squier DAJV would fit? probably, huh?

13. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Well then, I think for the price, the SKB is hard to beat. A very study case. I never liked gig bags since the day my drummer knocked over a bass that was in a gig bag and did some serious damage to the neck. Hey, out on the gig sh*t happens and I just feel safer with my basses in either a hard case, or a soft cases like the SKB. The Nordy fits in there pretty snug.

SKBCase.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Roger;
    what got me started on this, is this: my Valentis and my USA Lakland P5 measure ~47" from tail to the end of the headstock, stangin on the floor, dunlop strapocks and the strap on.
    This means: they don't fit protec contego nor my older Sadowsky portabags.

My nord VJ6 measures 46 from that same standing position, strap on, dunlop locks on.
    You think your fitment has an extra 1/2" extra on each end?

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I have several featherweight, hardshell flight cases.
    I don't like the bulk of them though, unless I'm traveling places I don't personally manage my instrument.

I really like the contego protect, and it's price friendly, but it won't hold the Valenti or Lakland.
    I really like the Sadowsky portabag, but it's $200-ish.

Sadowsky also carry a lightweight rectangle like the one you posted. Gator make one too.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have two of those and two of SKB's rectangular ones. both are great cases. the only thing i would like better is if the 'back pack straps' were removable. i slightly prefer the rectangular ones because they have ALOT thinner profile.

i paid $62.50 ea. for the form fit (like the one the OP's is talking about) and $50 ea for the rectangular ones (with free shipping on both types).

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It does seem substantively wide...yep.

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i mean thick, not wide.