1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SKB Case Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Savnok, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Savnok

Savnok

Jan 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    So i went ahead and got a 2 space SKB Xmolded case for my GK 1001-RB II. Took the rack ears off only to find out the thing didnt even fit on the rails. It was off by almost less than a centimeter on the width, i debated about whether i should of returned it and gotten a bigger case but i figured the rail size would of been the same either way? I used a sander and took a bit off the GK rack metal parts on each side. It fits now, but im still kinda weirded out that it didnt fit, and i was wondering if anyone else had these sorts of problems?

As for my terminology youl have to excuse me cause i dont know most of the words for some of the parts haha.

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    looks like some kind of manufacturing default on either the g-k´s rack ears or the case. racks are supposed to be 19", so measuring both would help...

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Something isn't right.

The 19" rack spacing has been standard since at least the 1940's, and making equipment and mounting ears to that standard is trivial.

I suspect something's out of whack with the mounting rails.

The OP doesn't say exactly what the problem is, but implies that the rack ears are too wide. Are you sure that the rails weren't mounted a bit closer together than normal??

4. I really hope you never have to get a new rack then buddy. Because if that was a fault with the rack, your GK isnt gna fit into a new rack.

5. I'm not sure how the rails could be mounted wrong - they are an integral part of the trim ring around the opening of the molded case for the SKBs.

On my molded SKB (4 space), the opening is 19 1/8". Is it possible the GK had the wrong rack ears? Or is there something (i.e., washers) pushing them farther from the chassis than they should be?

6. Savnok

Savnok

Jan 28, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think the problem was mostly with the case, if i ever do buy another i dont think it will create such a big problem having sanded down the ears a bit, if anything its smaller than a centimeter but it wouldnt of fit in the case otherwise..

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I would suspect the rack ears on the amp or the way they were mounted before I suspected the case.