Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKB Freedom 4 Case-Any good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 29, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    They aren't horribly expensive (80 bucks), and I am flying enough now where I need a flight case. Is this a decent case?
    Is there a better case cheaper, or should I just bump up to the 100-150 dollar range?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've had mine for 2 years now. A good case for going in and out of the car, and around town use.

For flying however, I think I would use something else. I don't think these would stand up too well for too long under those conditions.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Any suggestions?

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Not really, because I've never flown with my basses. I suppose any good ATA rated case.

I'm sure there are other TB'ers here who have a lot of experience in this area. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

5. missy51633

missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    vincennes
    i don't know what kind anybody else uses but i tried the one you mentioned and they don't fly well believe me! but i had a personal friend take specifications of my 5 basses and he made me a case took 2 months but they are in excellent condition when i get there and best of all the airlines don't jump up and down to keep them off planes but they ease them on like they are babies,,no he doesn't build for anyone else but as a favor to me ,just great and oh yes you need to check with airlines unless you already know their specifications for handeling
    have a good day and stay safe
    missy51633

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay, take a deep breath and brace yourself. I may not be able to stay rational and calm while posting this.

DON'T TRUST THE AIRLINES WITH YOUR BASS!!! EVER!!!!!

One of my favorite basses ever got dumped out of its case and destroyed by American AIrlines. They also (at least back then) wouldn't let me check my bass unless I signed a form that said it wasn't sufficiently protected. It was in a flight case. How much more protection is supposed to be needed? They dumped it out, apparently on concrete. It had chunks of binding missing and a an 'S' curve in the neck. I still miss that bass.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Freedom cases are cheaper versions of the regular SKB hardshell cases... not really worth it IMO... ATA Rated cases are what you need to use when flying, nothing less.

Granted they are pretty expensive if you were to buy them new, but there is no reason why a beat-up 'looking' one wouldn't do the job just fine. Many flight cases will see 4-6 owners if not more in their lifetime...

Zero/Haliburton/Anvil makes a aluminum briefcase-styled case for guitars and basses, I think that I saw them new for $599.

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Absent an alternative I'd vote that post "most pointless use of increased text size". ;) Nice job.

SKB makes a case for flying -lookie here

I grabbed one from Musicians Friend for about $100

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Nice! I like these...

[​IMG]

I would see this as more useful (to me at least) and when you got to your destination, you could leave the 'Electric Bass Safe' in the Hotel and you would still have your gig bag to tote around...

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And what makes you think they won't dump your bass out of this one and then tell you it was your fault for asking them to carry it in cargo, like they did with me?
    :eyebrow:

If you go on a plane, bring your bass on board with you. It's a LOT easier to buy all new clothes after you get to Denver and your suitcase has gone to Abu Dhabi than it is to find a bass that fits you just right, especially with the $100 of damage reimbursement they are willing to give you. "Oh, your bass cost HOW much? Well here's a hundred to get it replaced. Well it's your own fault for putting it in an insufficient case." Mine was in a flight case. It was dumped out and they screwed me on it. And I had no recourse because I had signed that stupid form, rather than leave my bass in the previous city. The choice I was given was sign a form saying that my flight case was not enough protection, or just don't get on the plane. Sometimes I'd swear they planned to screw me over like that.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I "used" to be able to check my bass in a locked Anvil flight case, but post 9/11, the airlines have to be able to unlock the case and inspect at several points, and they will break the lock off if they have to.

The problem is, they don't take the time or attention to make sure that the latch is closed correctly. The result: the case pops open when shuffled around, and your bass tumbles.

My opinion: get the thickest gig bag you can find, try to take your bass on the plane, and if they get prickly (sometimes happens, accept it), gate-check the bass, and hope for the best.

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    man, I need a traveling gig with our own private airplane... :meh:

13. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    And if the airline forces you to check it rather than let you carry it on to stuff into the overhead bin (highly likely) you'll end up giving the airline your bass in a gig bag to bury between thousands of pounds of luggage.

:meh:

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Actually, if its gate-checked, its put on top, after all of the regular luggage has been loaded. I've gate-checked basses in gig bags before, and haven't had any problems. You get it handed to you the minute you walk off the plane, its taken off BEFORE the regular luggage is unloaded.

Just make sure you have a THICK gig bag . . .