Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKB rack cases: standard vs. roto-molded

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulYeah, May 3, 2004.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I just realized that I got the roto-molded version of the SKB 6-space rack, and it's huge. :oops: The standard size rack appears to be much smaller and easier to carry around. I'm thinking about exchanging it for the standard. Is there any advantage to the roto-molded version? It has the velco shelf thing on the top, which might come in handy, but I don't think it would be worth lugging around such a huge case.

Paul

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, the rotos are bulkier but consider this: the extra bulk (that is, greater distance between rack and components) will, to a certain extent, act as a shock absorber if the rack ever tips or falls.

My rotoracks don't have the velcro shelf thing... is that a new feature?

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Are you sure that's not the Mini Gig-Rig? That's kind of what it sounds like with the velcro top. It's for non rack-mount mixers.

4. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    According to the online invoice, I did order SKB 6-Space Rack Case (not the Roto).

I just checked out the Mini Gig Rig, and that is exactly what I got! No wonder it's so huge.

The Mini Gig Rig retails for $90 more than the 6-spacer. Sounds like I should just hang onto it! I have no idea what to do with all this extra rack space though...

Would it be unethical for me to keep this thing instead of sending it back?

Paul

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Try getting a few Vent Panels I have a few of these exact ones $5.99 each (one space) and they are good looking and sturdy.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What's your conscience say? ;) You could always contact the vendor and see if they even want it back (I've heard that MF sometimes says "our bad, just keep the extra"). Then again, if you'd prefer to have what you ordered rather than what they sent, you're definitely entitled to an exchange.

7. Wow, that thing is big and bulky. If you have no use for the extra features I'd definately take it back and get a regular rack.

[​IMG]

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    My experience with SKB was enough to justify the nickname a guy I knew gave to them.

He said "SKB" stood for "Shoulda Known Better".