SKB Roto Rack vs. Road Rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Aug 12, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Despite reading a number of negative comments here on TB, I recently purchased a used SKB roto rack and was pleasantly surprised. Seems extremely sturdy, built-in handle makes lots of sense (and seems essentially unbreakable), yes, the back panel is a bit flimsy, but I have only one component (QSC PLX) that is deep enough to come anywhere near that back panel.

So now I'm curious as to what folks see as the advantages of the standard SKB rack case vs. the roto rack. Or maybe I just misread those old posts?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nothing worse than having that back panel pop open and fall to the ground when you're carrying it around. Cables falling out, yuk. That back panel is an abomination, IMO.
  3. I'm curious about this one..I'll be buying a rack soon. Was actually planning on the older style since I don't like the look of the new and the old are cheaper. but more info is always good
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    What size?

I'd recommend Road Ready if your looking for something 4U or under. I have a 6U.... but thats too heavy with all of the components (probably the RMX). The 4U isnt as bad though. I got my 6U used for $60. It says "The Betty Fords" on the top... I was gonna scratch it off, but I think its hilarious :D

I couldnt break into that road ready without a sledge hammer... and someone over 6'4". But weight becomes an issue with the bigger sizes. SKBs are sturdy from what I've seen. Probably not as rock solid as the Road Ready... but the light weight makes up for it all in the end. Price range should be similar, I'd think.
  5. minimum 4U but 6U if I want wireless and tuner. I Was thinking about two 4Us for portability and flexibility but I'm rethinking that maybe just a 6U would be best
    Road Ready the wooden ones?
    I'll be going Furman, BMax, RMX, possible tuner and wireless.
  6. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    I'm going to be getting a new rack soon, have an 8 spacer now, which is more than i need. I only have a GK 400RB head in it, and a Sabine tuner. Would a 4 space rack be enough for my needs, or would i be better off going 6 space to let the head "breathe"? Trent