Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKB Roto Racks -- New Model?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Aug 17, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I own what I thought was a standard SKB 4U roto rack -- standard depth, molded-in handles, hinged lid on one end and "dust cover" (with red plastic hinges) on the other, top and bottom profile similar (identical?) to the older SKB racks (i.e., not an "X" pattern). But when I go to the SKB website, what they show as the roto rack is completely different: hinged on both ends, with an "X" pattern like the shallow SKB racks.

SKB Roto Rack

Is this a new version of the roto rack? Are they generally available? Has anyone tried one?

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I just got one of the "new" roto racks a couple of weeks ago (a 4 space). I recently purchased a Demeter preamp and a Stewart 1.6 amp, so I was looking for something that was lightweight and not overly expensive. The SKB rack seems to be okay. Since I won't be using it as a true road case (I'll only use that set up a couple of times a year), it should work great for my purpose, but it looks solid enough that it should be able to take more abuse. I read quite a few posts and they seem to get pretty good reviews.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    They probably responded to complaints about the rear door with the lip that got in the way of cords in the back of the amp. Good move on their part. The new ones look much better! I was looking at getting a used SKB last week but I ended up getting one of those CNB cases that look like SKBs but are cheaper.

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

What do you think of the CNB?? I am very tempted to order one right at the moment.

Is the quality decent? Latches as bad, better, the same as the SKB?? Decent protection relative to the SKB??

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had until two days ago a CNB 4 space roto-type rack.

I liked it (see my review on here about it). In short, pretty good build quality, good retail price (even better used), and can hold longest of amps! At least mine did. Pre threaded front AND back rack rails, though some prefer them not pre-threaded. Light weight but pretty rugged. It probably wouldn't survive a cab-dive to a hard floor as the plastic is a bit thinner then the roto-deals. Great thing is that both front and rack lids are indeed lids. The roto stuff I have has those infamous red-knobbed, rattley covers and the rear sections that come up making connectivity down there a nightmare. I HATE PUTTING MY POWERAMP SO HIGH!

Anyway, the only negative thing about the CNB I had, as mentioned on my review, were the handles. It hurts the hands something awful. Short carries are okay, but when you got 30-40 pounds in that thing, the grooves on the "handles" really aggrevates my hands. Oh well.

About the latches, they seem to be on par with the SKB latches. No big difference other than I think I remember the SKB sometimes having chrome latches? I dunno. Minor thing. Conclusion: CNB is good value for the money, and can definitely compete with the SKB roto-things.

-T

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You can send me a PM in a couple of weeks :D It's being shipped right now.

7. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have a CNB 6-space case, not the SKB-style plastic but the aluminum style. It's a great looking and very solidly built case. Unfortunately, it's about 1/2" wider than the distance between the corner protectors on my Schroeder cabs -- just wide enought that it won't fit between them, but not quite wide enough to lie comfortably on top of both of them. Also, I decided to split my rig into two 4-space racks so that I could use the tuner / wireless / power conditioner with either my pre-amp / amp setup or my smaller Eden WT400.

I like what I see of the new SKB roto rack -- fixing the back panel makes a lot of sense, and I've always preferred the molded handle to the attached one on the SKB ATA rack. Unfortunately, the new roto won't stack with the old one (though I gather it will stack with the ATA), so once again I'll have to visit eBay.

8. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    i actually just broke down and bought the CNB 4 space aluminum.

Should be getting my Read Purity tomorrow to sit in there with my Stewie 2.1. My Eden WT400 (which has been my pre for the last year) will probably be rackless for a while, and eventually will be sold.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Woah. I clicked the link, looked at the pic and, then looked at my rack and realized its the same one. I had no idea it was a new model. Its a great rack. I only have to complaints. It is alittle bulky and one of the back door latches loosely fits.