SKB Shallow X Rack - Pic. of back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Would any of you owners of the SKB Shallow X rack care to share a picture of the back panel? I have no idea what it looks like and I'd like to understand how it works.

I need a case for my 1001RB-II and Tuner and this seemed like a cool, compact option.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    No pic but. I've used a 3 space with a 1001 RB II and a 1 ru vent panel. You need to mount the GK 1 ru up from the bottom so the spaker cables don't conflict with the 'inner lip' of the rear cover recess.

I like my amp on the bottom (center of gravity and all that) so I cut the lip. Everything is still fully enclosed though. The recess is sort off 'L' shaped where cover rear cover rests against the verticle leg of the 'L'. That is the piece I cut.

I recently moved to a 4 space SKB X rack which is what I would recommend to you. Mine is configured as GK on the bottom, 1 ru vent panel and compressor/limiter on the top. As the 1001 is fan cooled with the exhaust on top; at least I think that is the exhaust ;~) I didn't want to block it at all... Probably being anal but what the heck it can't hurt.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Mine is a couple years old, but the back panel is a pretty cheap, annoying plastic affair. It's a fairly thin plastic cover that is held in place by two rotating tabs -- you push it into place, then turn the tab screws to move them around inside until they hold it in place. The tolerances are iffy so mine I have to fiddle with it to get the tab to lock.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    found one for you......

its hard to see, but the mold folds back inward to creat a ledge for the back removable back panel to set against and then you turn the red levers.

I'm assuming the mounting depth is up to the back panel, owners could veryfy that.
  5. Thanks Mcrelly! That's exactly what I wanted.
  6. litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    Here is photo of the front of my 4 Space x-Rack with the stuff you may be putting in your rack as well.

The GK head can only be on space 1/2 or 2/3 since(as 4Mal was saying) you won't be able to hook up the speakon cables if it was on the 4th space ... the back outer lip is in the way.

I could have placed the tuner on the 4th space but the light on the tuner looks so cool. :cool:

I just run a compact fan in the back to assist on cooling.

Attached Files:

7. So let me get this straight, with the 4 space X rack, you CAN fit the GK into the bottom 2 spaces? This would be my prferred layout (like 4Mal).

From the bottom up.

GK in 1/2
    Rack vent in 3
    Tuner in 4

So this is possible right?
  8. Also, this is probably a dumb quesiton, but do the shallow racks come with all the mounting hardware and stuff or do you have to buy them seperately?
  9. Just curious.. Do the new GK amps have the fans on the top still?? if so do you put anything on top of the amp in the rack and does it effect the airflow at all?
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The X racks come with mounting hardware for at least 2 or 3 rack units.

The GK 1001 head has the mounting unit on top which is why I like an empty space above it. It ay be me being anal but why risk a thermal event if it isn' necessary ?

Last weekend as a result of this thread I swapped my compresor to the bottom space, put the GK in 2&3 and the rack filler in the top space. Worked fine and that's going to be my setup going forward. The balance in the 4 space rack was fine. I removed the rubber feet on the amp with no ill effect... and then stored the feet in the box that the amp shipped in. Me being anal again...
  11. I've run mine with the GK 1001RB in the top space for about 2 years now, with no problems. Front and top vents where a small part of the selling point for the amp, for me anyways.