Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKB Shock Mount Rack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigBohn, Nov 29, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Do these things really do what they're supposed to? Shock-resistance is something that should be important to all bassists because vibrations can rattle and move internal components to breakage. Do their spring shocks on each of the 8 corners help reduce shock to the rack items inside it? Thanks in advance.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Its gotta be a gimmick. I would just get a regular SKB rack.

It kinda reminds me of shock pads that you put under your trucks when you skateboard. Theyre useless.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    thats exactly what I expected.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmm, ok. Maybe you guys are right. Thanks for the input.

5. if you're willing to spend that much on a rack, you're better off getting an ATA rack. Better quality, because instead of molded plastic with a thin metal frame, its got wood sides and tops, and metal binding. Much more sturdy. I got mine for about $130(?) for a 4-space. it's been well worth it.

6. Do they not potect your stuff better though?

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    How would metal work better? I thought better would just be worse because of weight issues and because the bass resonance on metal is much more than that of plastic or wood.

8. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I have always thought that the point of shock mounted racks was to protect against SEVERE impacts. I think people usually use them on tours where anyone could be handling or packing your stuff. The goal is to be able to drop the thing and have it work afterwards.
    If you were to use softer springs, a heavy impact would max them out. Honestly though, I've never owned or used one.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You might be right. My only need for a rack is to have something to hold my rack stuff for every once in a long while when I get out to a gig or practice. I'm not on the road or anything. So you think any cheap 100 dollar rack case should hold me up? How bout a normal SKB? Tryin to keep it as low priced as possible.

10. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    A regular rack should suit you just fine. In fact, depending on what you're putting into it, and how careful you are with your gear, you might be able to get away with a padded rack bag. If you're keeping cost down, this could be solution. You can find a solid rack for well under $100 though, especially used.

Your profile doesn't list a head. Are you shopping? If so, what are you looking at?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm not a big fan of SKB. I own two and have problems with the latches on both. I also have a Grundorf (sp) that I like much better.

I don't really know much about this company, but you can check them out if you want:
    http://www.discount-distributors.com/home.htm

12. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have a shockmounted SKB 8 space rack.... the reason i own it is because i used to have a normal one, and i dropped it one day.. tripped over a cord when i was carrying it to a gig.. .... my equipment was okay but pretty bent up..

i got my rack for $200 on ebay.... and it doesn't sway but i don't expect it to... if it swayed, then i dropped it, the springs would all just compress and my equipment would smack the bottom of the rack, which is what i was trying to avoid in the first place. The worst problem is its size.. its too big for one person to carry more than 5 or 6 feet without getting hurt....
    if you're looking into protecting your equipment... i say go mesa boogie... they make some really nice racks with wheels the glide over asphalt like ice... very helpful when you have 2 gigs a weekend and you're moving everything a couple of times. Put your stuff in upside down, so you can put the rack on your cabinet with the wheels up.. if i get in a touring band, that'll be the first thing on my list.

if you don't tour that much i'd say its not a big deal... but it'd suck to spend over a grand on an amplifier setup just to lose it because it wasn't protected enough.

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I was going to get these:

SWR IOD preamp
    Carvin DCM2000 poweramp
    Eden D-410XLT

After months of research, advice, opinions, and tests, this is the probably the final list. I was looking at Demeter, Kern, Alembic, Ampeg, Eden, Acme, and everything.

14. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, very true. I've heard many complaints that on the regular SKB Molded Case models, not RotoRack or Shock Mount, that the latches didn't stay on during transportation. I knew that, thanks for pointing it out. Those Grundorfs, never heard of them. If they're inexpensive and of good quality, I'll get some. Thanks.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmmm, maybe I should check out Ebay for em cheap. The mesas sound incredible, but most likely are just too expensive.

True, having an expensive rig should be protected properly, but essentially, this rig would just be sitting at home most of the time. I don't want to overkill it just because I gig once a month. I can suffer with the regular racks.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Ah poo, not US, eh? Well, that shoots that out of the question.

18. I think a few factors come in... but its still my belief that a case that is made of wood, and with metal fittings on all the corners, and basicly a metal frame with wooden flat spots. Tell me this, soo many recording arists when the go on the road, use ATA flight cases for EVERYTHING. Why arnt they using SKB? you tell me.

19. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    where can I get an ATA rack case for my head? I want a three space.