Skiboards / Skiblades

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aram, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I tried Skiblades (those really short skis that you use with no poles) in VT this weekend and they rocked! Now I want to buy a pair.

Does anyone know how I go about choosing the right pair, and what a good price is for a decent set? I don't even know whether I should get blades (the thin ones) or boards (the fat, parabolic ones). Any input or good sources for information on the Web?
  2. ive never been ona deck before, but they are defiantly pricey.

now, as far as the blades go, i personally love them!
    ive only tried 1m long salomon - prob cost about $80-100.

unfortunatly i couldnt give you any really good pointers except for to have a google for a TB style ski community!

ski-blading rocks!!!
  3. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I really have no idea what made me look at the OT forum today, but as a skiboarder, here's a few tips...

The fatter types will give you better flotation, generally. Skiboards seem to have fallen out of fashion, so I would recommend looking on eBay for a good used set.

I have a pair of Line Jedi 89's (model from a few years ago), and my wife has a pair of Line Mike Nick Pro's (also from a few years ago--the current Mike Nick Pro offering is full length skis). Line is a very small US company run by some great guys who design some really great gear. I heartily recommend all of their products. They make/made the best skiboards you can get--and their machined aluminum FF Pro bindings are the strongest out there.

My Jedi's are a bit shorter and wider than my wife's Mike Nick Pro models. The longer models are a bit more stable at high speeds, but the shorter ones are a little more maneuverable.
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Amper!

I will definitely check into Line skiboards.

I'm basically looking for an all-around board -- I'm least concerned with speed, and prefer to carve and hit moguls. I found this pair in a shop for $250 new, and they come with Tyrollia bindings (with brakes):

Do you think that is a good deal for $250? I'm worried I won't be able to find them next season if I wait...

Why do you think they've fallen out of fashion (not that that affects my decision at all)?

Thanks again!
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out Line, definitely. My friend has em.
  6. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Head makes a good product. My wife's regular skis and boots are Head (mine are Salomon TenEighty twin-tips). The only thing I question there is, why the releasable bindings? Skiboards aren't long enough to break a leg if you fall with them (unless of course you're doing something outrageously, gratuitously insane), so no-releasing bindings are fine on anything less than about a meter in length, and they weigh a lot less.

Just for comparison, when I bought my wife's Mike Nick's, they were around $450 brand new. I've seen them on eBay in practically new condition for less than $200.

The thing about skiboards is, other than using them in a "skate park" type of situation, they generally require above-average snow conditions for you to really have fun with them (smaller footprint means less flotation and less edging ability in icy stuff). That, and just the vagaries of fashion, are why they've fallen off a bit...

Of course, the cool thing is, they're small, light, and (relatively) cheap, so you can always take a pair along with your regular skis. If the 'boards aren't doing it, you can just switch. You don't even have to change boots. They're also cool if you have a friend who's never gone skiing, or doesn't have their own equipment. Rental equipment sucks, and skiboards are really easy to learn on--plus the bindings are generally adjustable to a wide range of foot sizes, unlike releasable bindings (adjustable, but it's a pain in the azz).

Oh, one last thing. I usually use three-section collapsible expedition poles with my 'boards (EMS, made by Komperdell). That way, I can use them when I need them, and then strap them to my pack when I don't...

My favorite thing is ridin' fakie (that's backwards for the squares). I can even go all the way down a hill doing continuous 360's!
  7. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oh, it's not for the release function during falls per se, I just find the strap really annoying. The weight issue is definitely something to consider though.

That definitely is a'd probably be worth it to have skiboards for powder, and skiblades for icier conditions, since they're so cheap.

These are my main reasons for wanting to grab a pair before they're REALLY hard to find. It was fun, and easy to maneuver both on the slopes and off. I'll have to do some research as far as which bindings are right for me.

My brother's got that down becuase he's been skiboarding for the past few years. I've only been up there twice, so I'm still adapting from skis, but the potential for tricks seems unlimited. I have mastered falling though (I love how painless it is as opposed to skiing).

Thanks again for your help!