SKILL REQ. on equipment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lpbassics, Apr 24, 2002.

1. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Just a theory I came up with today.

I was browsing a local music store when 3 young adults enter talking amongst themselves. One of them decides he would like to try out a Aguilar rig, a db359 + gs410.

At this point I'm thinking good choice. :)

The as they search through the bass selection, said young adult decides he would also like to use a new Spector NS 4 CRFM.

Good call. :D

And they he proceeds to fill the room up with some very odd music... err... something. It was quite apparent he had never played before, or at the most, very little. It wasn't the equipment, the aggie's were running in peak condition as was the spector. They he continues to talk to his friends like he knows something.

"Oh yeah this is a ok amp." :mad: = me

So bassically, I think skill requirements should be added. So like:

Aguilar db359
    $(insert price)
    Skill: 5 or something

Then the owner would check the person's rating and if it is lesser than the item they would not be allowed to utilize it.

I dunno, i just get tired of people who ACT like their the best or have $2000 basses and such, but don't play. The "hackers" if you will.

I know a few...

Nothing against beginners, as i know I am FAR FAR FAR FAR from where I would like to be. But I know I wouldn't feel worthy of such setup when I was beginning.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    off to misc

have a good day
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's ok with me if you suck, cause we all suck at one time or another. I just can't stand it when people abuse the instruments. Watching someone drop (and I mean CLANG to the floor) a Pedulla is just too much for my fragile heart.
  4. Can't have a skill req. on equip....otherwise, I would walk into the music store and they would hand me a triangle and make me sit in the corner ....good monkey :p
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Along those lines, check out this thread. It's from my young and impetuous days. :D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Do you think this would apply to Fieldy as well? :D
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think that skill is relative. What's good to me and what's good to you is different. I've been playing for 4 years, and have a $3000+ rig that I worked for, and lucked into. Should I hand it back because I don't utilize it to your standards?
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If somebody works their butt off and pays their hard earned money, I say that they can hace whatever they want.

The thing that ticks me off is when I see some kid at Guitar Center who can't play a lick, but their Daddy buys them a Warwick Streamer Stage I or Modulus Quantum and an Eden or SWR head and cabinets.

That makes my blood boil!:mad:
  9. No kidding. My folks bought me my MIM J and my first Carvin PB100-10; everything after that has been from the sweat of my brow. (Of course, I work tech support, which doesn't generate much sweat but sure boils a lot of blood :rolleyes: ) I have expensive tastes in gear, but I've paid for it, even if my abilities don't rate it. That said, I think I'm a better player and musician than the kid who comes into a music store and plays "Tommy the Cat" but can't play even a 1-5-8 samba groove to save his life.

A guitarist I know whose father has bought him >$50,000 of guitars (mostly ridiculous Paul Reed Smith and Gibson custom shop models) is a nice example of a guy who really does deserve all that gear--he's good, and he admits it when he's lacking in a certain area.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    THAT gets my ire going, don't you know it. I know guys who's parent's buy them Gibson's ect. Heck, my folks won't LEND me $200, let alone GIVE me $2000.

Of course, I find myself a better person for it.
  11. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    My parents bought me my first $299 bass and amp package. Everything else is out of my pocket. I would say i have relatively good gear but i dont really think im all that good.
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you guys had rich parents would you be opposed to them buying you some pricey gear?
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was 15, I wouldn't have been. I would have been all for it!

But, knowing what I know today, and knowing that I learned a lot about responsibility by having to pay my own way, I'm glad that they didn't.:)
  14. I wouldn't want my folks buying me an MTD or a Fodera, no.

I go to a university wherein there are many very wealthy people who have no qualms about flaunting their money. 18-year-olds with Mercedes SUVs, $80 jeans, $200 Oakley sunglasses, $2000 watches--you know what I'm talking about. Thing is, my family has enough wealth that I could have any of these things. However, I see something wrong with having all of life's riches dumped upon you before you've had to work a minute in a real job. That's why I much prefer to buy my gear myself.

Here's a tangent:
    A decent cello might cost $5000, which would pay for my entire setup almost twice over. No kid could afford this unless he/she were a drug dealer or had wealthy parents. In the latter case, the person who has this instrument is either:
    1. being pushed into it by his/her parents, who would spend the money whether the kid wanted to play or not;
    2. deeply committed to his/her craft, and fully deserving of such an investment.

The kid coming into a Guitar Center and having his daddy buy him a Streamer Stage II so he can look like Dirk Lance is neither of these. No, he's just spoiled.
  15. I started out w/ $300 worth of gear. My dad paid for it. he told me he'd be willing to start me off, but after that, if i'd wish to continue, it'd be on me. I now have a Eden half stack that costed me 2 g's, and a Peavey Cirrus which I got for $800. I paid for all of it. I also had a MIM Jazz which i paid for, but have recently sold. Am I worthy of the gear I have? You tell me. Surly somewhere in the world somone better than me has worse gear than me, and somone worse than me has better gear than me. What is the medium of how good you are to how much money you can spend on your bass?

I bought my amp rig because the 50w combo was not loud enough for playing w/ drums. Now jumping up to 800w seems like a huge jump, but it was on sale, had a deal, so i took it. I wont say that it had to be an eden, but i had the money for it, needed a new amp, so I figured I'd spoil myself.

My bass is a different story. The first bass I had got replaced by the Fender simply because the Yamaha was almost impossible to play due to rough fret edges, ect, and it was meaningless to put money into a $100 bass, so I bought a fender MIM 6 months after i started (my money). Few years later, the Fender started to show wear, neck grew dead spots and various other things. Insted of fixing up a bass i wasnt too happy w/ the sound of, and wanted to extend to a 5'er, I decided to look into a new bass. Found the Cirrus. The day i brought home the Cirrus, my skill level jumped WAY up. The Fender held me down in too many ways to explain. It was like breathing though one of those small coffee mixing straws for a few years, and then suddenly breathing normally. I could now do all the things I wanted to be able to do and more.

Had i not replaced my bass, I may have never been able to do the things i can do now, and may have never been able to do them.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

They're renting it. (With a possible rent-to-own option).

I would guess that's the case with many classical instruments or horns. I mean, a bunch of kids start off on woodwinds or brass when they're young, and a bottom of the line sax or trumpet is much more expensive than a bottom of the line bass and amp. I would guess that many of these kids' parents rent.
  17. Ah--I was talking about kids in the 12-17 range. I should have made that more explicit. With the exception of those with super-expensive instruments (low brass, URB, etc.), when I was in high school I found that even lower-income students who were really good musicians owned their own axes.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, let's say Bill Gates decides to take up bass. He's never played a note of music in his life, on any instrument (let's say). Now what would be a good rig for him? Squier and Crate? Ibanez and Peavey? Carvin? He could buy any and all of the factories that all basses are built in (which would be Samick), and it'd never dent his checking account.

No, for my man Bill, I'd say a nice Fodera and both an Aguilar rig and an Eden rig. Maybe a few other high end basses and rigs just to test out. Anything he found not to his liking could be given to members of this very forum. Say, me, most appropriately.

My point is that if rich kids' folks have gobs of dough, why on earth would they buy a crappy instrument and rig for their kid? Why would they buy anything even mediocre? If I don't have much money, and I pay $350 for the best rig I can afford, would I buy the same rig if my income were $6 million per year? Get over your petty jealousy. If you had the money, you'd buy the gear. I sincerely hope that each and every one of us ultimately reaches that point. (I know that my daughter, who's four, will eventaully have at least eight basses, some of them high-end. She's much luckier than I was at her age. And no, she won't have to work, or even lift a finger for them.)
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    MY attitude about it is that if a rich parent buys a kid a nice bass, great! Good for job! Why does it matter to you? The difference is (assuming the player isn't good) that you worked for it and they didn't. It's not your problem, so why even let it bother you? If you were in the same situation, you'd probably do the same. "Best for OUR kids within OUR means", no?

BTW, Munji, I'd bet he wouldn't buy a Fodera. ;) He just recently stopped flying coach because it was getting to hard to find the right flights in time, and he drives a Lexus GS400 that he's had for about 6 years. Not exactly a huge spender (besides his house, which ISN'T for him), eh?