1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skinny Bassists Unite!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The fat bassists have got their own thread - it's time we spindle-shanked bassists threw up our tiny arms and represented.

We have everything against us - we can't groove like the fatties, our instruments are too big for us, our bass amps outweigh us 5 to 1... we can't get any respect from our large boned bretheren. The only way for us to be safe is for us to unite in large numbers.

Come all ye lanky, ye scrawny, ye undernourished.

Behold the glory of my full 130 pounds:

l_773e821674174c2d074816f05fd933b8.

2. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh noes! It appears that I'm the only skinny bassist on TB. Yikes! I'm outnumbered!

Update: I keep waiting for my metabolism to slow down; at 31, I'd expect I'd start putting on some weight. Instead, I'm losing weight - I just weighed myself this morning, and I've somehow lost 10 pounds! Now I'm down to a whopping 125 pounds. Not good.

Time to scarf down some enchiladas.

3. You aren't alone... and at 40, I tip the scales at somewhere between 145 and 155 - not sure... it's been a long time since I've weighed myself...

P1010011.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Nope... you're not alone. Been at essentially the same weight since I was 18, in spite of weightlifting and running 3-4 times a week. I did manage somehow to put on 10 pounds in the last year from weightlifting, but I lost a bit of that after I got off track with my training schedule. <shrug> Well, I guess the running and the fact I drink lots of coffee and tea doesn't slow down the 'ol metabolism either. I'm trying to keep mine rolling as best I can. ;-) But yeah, there's gotta be more skinny bass bretheren out there.

[​IMG]
    <BR>
    [​IMG]
    <BR>
    [​IMG]

5. No pictures unfortunately ...

I'm only 140 and can still wear my suit from my HS graduation pictures. I don't think I'm gaining weight anytime soon. My dad is the same weight as I am at 58.

6. I too am the same as I was at 18 (145).

Best thing to do is pick your parents well. :)

7. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I try but all the beer and steaks in the world don't help me :scowl: My body is determined to stay around 125 - 130 :meh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I'm around 139 pounds, although I have put on about 15 pounds in the last year.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess I failed at that. I'm skinny, have strange bone protrusions, a crooked back, thinning hair, big teeth, chronic migrains, patchy chest hair, knobby knees, and freakishly small nipples. Next time I come back, I'm going to have myself a talk with god about my genetic makeup.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    5' 9" @ 160 doesn't count does it?

You're not married, are you Ben?

One year of marriage for me, my metabolism is slowing down now @32.

11. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Take away the thinning hair and you and me are one in the same. I might have to have a talk with the big guy myself.

12. I don't know... that sounds rather 'height proportionate to weight' to me... LOL

He's looking for skinny. Even I, at 5' 11" and ~between 145 and 155 thought I was outside the definition of skinny! - You can see my ribs and I have little to no gut (yet) though, so I think that keeps me in the zone.

I think you're pushing it... Maybe you should start a "Height proportionate to Weight Bass Players Unite!" thread! ;)

13. bhagiti

bhagiti

Mar 10, 2005
    NW Ohio
    42 and tip in at 140

l_00b6b64e68340e14db0d5fe55129f3e5.

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not married, no - bassists don't get chicks.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Maybe you're right.... In 2002 I was 125, chalked that one up to drug use though. After i quit, was all down hill.

16. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    just find dumb girls and tell em its a guitar :bag:

17. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Same spot i'm 5'11 and 150. I'll Unite!

I weighed 135 until I moved out last november lol.

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Maybe I can be a "runner up" I guess. ;)

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Haha!

20. LOL!

I suppose that depends on your D of C (drug of choice)... A buddy of mine moved to LA years ago and became a bit of a speed freak. He was always a bit of a 'doughy' dude, but during that time he was looking pretty lean and mean!

But alas, that sort of thing cannot last and he kicked that habit (yay!) and stuck to what mother nature provides. The good side - no more teeth-rotting, brain shriveling speed - the bad side... MUNCHIES!!!

He grew a Buddha real quick!