1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Skipping from G string to E string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jansen2k17, Feb 2, 2017.

1. jansen2k17

jansen2k17

Jan 16, 2017
    I was wondering how some of you deal with jumping from the G to E string or vice versa. Should I do it any differently than if I was only skipping over one string? Thanks

2. You are asking about string skipping. I'll answer your question this way. I use this pattern for everything I do. I've trained myself to move within this box pattern any way it is necessary to accomplish what I need. Keep reading...

Major Scale Box showing the generic scale degree numbers.
    G~~|---9---|-------|--10---|--11--| 1st string
    D~~|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A~~|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E~~|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    You may recognize this pattern with dots. Adding the numbers lets the pattern come alive. The notes R through 8 are one octave and the 9, 10 and 11th notes are part of the second octave. String skipping from the E to the G string is just something we have to get under our fingers. I visualize the box as a whole pattern - covering four strings and four frets. Getting from one scale degree number to the other is something you have to work out for yourself. I don't remember what I did it's been so long ago. But, I'm going to recommend you run your scale spellings for the next week. After that string skipping should not be a problem.
    If the Cmaj7 chord is coming up in the song I know that it's "spelling" is R-3-5-7, therefore to play the notes of the Cmaj7 chord I need to play the R-3-5-7 notes within the box. This link will come in handy: Chord Formulas

But to answer your question Yes I do need to be able to move within the box both vertically and horizontally. To do that I've had to practice using my Major scale box pattern all up and down my fretboard. So I'm suggesting you.....

..... do the same. If you place the box's R at the E string, 1st fret, the notes of the F major scale await you within the box. Move the box's R to the E string, 3rd fret and the notes of the G major scale await you within the box. Yes the G major scale has one sharped note, the F#, and your box's pattern had it come up automatically. That was a big WOW for me. Run the A major scale; E string 5th fret and you will get three sharped notes. All placed automatically for you.

Take a week and run your major scale spelling R-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 up and down the fretboard from the F major scale at the 1st fret to the E major scale at the 12th fret and string skipping should no longer be a problem.

The Natural minor scale spelling is R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-8. A flatted note, i.e. b3 is one fret back toward the nut. A sharped note (#) is one fret toward the bridge.

Run your major and natural minor scales up and down your fretboard for the next week and I bet string skipping will be in your tool chest.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    lostreality likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021