1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skipping in playback

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jonyak, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I have recently set up a little studio with a dedicated computer for recording.

I noticed the other day when I am recording alot of tracks at the same time I seem to get lag when recording and then in playback it presents itself as skipping.

anyone know anything abotu how to get rid of this?

my recording rig:

Tascam US-1641
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz dual core
    2 gig of ram
    wireless internet (heard it might mess up recording)
    PCI usb 2.0 card (used only for the tascam to keep latencies down)
    ati X1950 video card (old one I had laying around)
    windows 7 64 bit
    Nuendo 4 I beleive

Now when I set the latency for lowest my asio monitor is spiking. I have to set it to normal for it to stay stable, but even then when I am recording mltiple tracks(8+) it spikes and that when it seems to lag and skip.

thanks.

2. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    after some research, could this be due to my page file size?

3. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a combo of page file and the fact you ONLY have 2gm of ram. Windows 7 uses up around 1gb or ram on it's own. If you upped it to 4gb you would see a drastic improvement in the overall performance of your PC and the recordings should sound better as well.

Your CPU is also obsolete. It will be fine for recording, but not anything else at the same time. Turn everything else off: no MSN messenger, internet, etc. ONLY the stufff you need to record. If you have anti-virus software, exit that program as well. Hit Ctrl + Alt + escape and make sure your page file is under 200mb (under the 'performance' tab: look at the number beside "Paged"). For example, mine is currently at 146mb with a few things open. If it's still too high then you've got lots of programs running in the background.

4. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    Ok, I will go get some more ram.

ya I know its an obsolete cpu, its a computer I put together just for recording from parts I had lying around. it has nothing else on it at all, just windows and nuendo.

I was using my gaming rig which is a top of the line quad core with 6 gig of ram and it ran flawlessly, but I got sick of taking it apart to put it in the studio/jam room to record for an hour.

5. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    another, cheaper, option would be to install windows xp. It uses less system resources, and if you already have a copy then it's free way of possibly fixing the problem. 2 gb of older ram can cost more than the new stuff :(

6. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    well it uses ddr2 ram, so I should be able to get 2 gig of that for around 50-60 bucks. not much.

I don't have xp anymore :(, I had it but I lost my key.

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    very fustrating.

I am still gettign the clipping even though I am running the comp bare bones, stopped all non necessary processes.

the only thing I have not done is put more ram in.

I uped the page file no help.

8. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you have the "Mic Boost" turn off? It would be a windows setting somewhere.

9. Do you have any antivirus software running? If it's a recording PC uninstall the anti virus and disable the networking devices.

Upgrading the RAM it's always a good idea when running less than 4 GB.
    I would reccomend that you upgrade to at least 6GB if you're currently recording 8 tracks at the same time.

One last thing is to disable any plug-ins you have loaded into the channel strips. Plug ins often use up a lot of resources, and running them while recording eats up your CPU and RAM pretty fast.

10. How is this possible? RAM doesn't have anything to do with the recording chain.

11. m_bisson

m_bisson

May 26, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    What i meant was the ram would get rid of the recording issues.... getting the skipping taken care of WOULD make it sound better, moron.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Maybe download the ASIO4ALL driver? If you've upped the RAM to 4GB, that may be your culprit.

13. I'm sorry, but why are you calling me a moron? I only wanted to know what you meant with your statement. I never address myself to you in a disrespectful manner, so please be careful how you address people you don't even know.

Maybe you should worded your response in a different manner. This is the recording gear subforum, so you might understand why I misinterpreted what you said.

14. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    Ok, I think I found out what was going on.

thanks for the help guys.

It was updating the computer in the background, and for some reason that was spiking my asio buffer.

I was still getting some spikes after figuring that out, so I then installed the newest firmware in my US-1641, and now I got no spikes, and the asio meter barely moves at all.

I am still considering getting some more ram for it, but I recorded 8 tracks simultaneously last night with no issue's at all.

Thanks guys.

now to hone in a good drum sound. heheh.

15. ^glad everything worked out for you. I'd still consider getting more RAM,maybe you don't need it now, but later while mixing you'll see the need for it.

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I plan on mixing on another computer anyways.

but yes, I also plan on finding another 2 gig of ram for it.