Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Design Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kraigg007, Apr 23, 2004.

1. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    FYI,

I am mainly a vintage guitar collector/player. I went to the Dallas Guitar Show in hopes of finding some incredible rare finds. As far as vintage stuff, I had no luck. I was all about the guitars there, but I did find an incredible new luthier. Pete Skjold. I passed his booth and he was playing a 6 string fretless that sounded out of this world. I stood there and my mouth dropped. I was there looking for a pre 1965 custom fender bass guitar. What I purchased was a 6 string, fretless, modern bass. WHY? Because I knew that if I didn't purchase it, I would regret if for the rest of my life.

All of his basses looked, played and sounded incredible, but this fretless shut the show down. I have never played a 6 string or a fretless, but I had to have this one.

I have owned Fodera's, MTD's, Sadowsky's, R Basses, Yamaha's, Ken Smith's, Fenders, Music Man, and several other top brands. What I have found is that all of them are special in their own way, but Skjold basses are something special. If you get a chance to play one, you will love it. It is one of the best basses out there money can buy.

Some basses are keepers. This is one of them! Check out their website skjolddesign.com, and if you see them at a show or see one of their basses, try it out. You won't believe what your hear.

Kraig G.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and he's a very cool guy as well-
    thanks for acknowledging him-
    i would have , but it would have been considered spam! :cool:

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Adrian at AccessBass.com is carrying those now. He's got a heck of a discount on the models in stock too. Look like great basses, look a lot like the Modulus Quantum series to me.

The "S" logo also looks like Stambaughs logo????

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Pete is in fact a very nice guy and a super talented luthier. His basses are pretty different from what we usually see and that's great IMO.

I can't understand how it's possible that Adrian still has 3 of those killer basses in sock!! :eek:

worth checking them!!

Peace,
    JP

PS: Pete also has a new singlecut design that rocks

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Yeah, I very nearly bought one - until the N appeared... and that was that :D If I'm not mistaken, it's being introduced at an introductory price now ;)
    I was torn between the bubinga/alder and the padauk/mahogany skjolds (and not to mention... the roscoe buckeye burl as well...)

If you do ever get one - please post clip for us :) I haven't had the chance to hear what it sounds like - esp since someone's still raising funds to save his mac from the service centre :ninja: ;)

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    havent played one, but i got a pic!

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hehe, I have better pics ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete himself:
    [​IMG]

Peace,
    JP

8. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my beautiful Skjold Design 6 String Bass.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    SWEET!!!

10. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    If for some reason you can't see the pictures, hit your right mouse button. Open the properties and copy and past it to see the links.

You can also check out the skjold website:

www.skjolddesign.com

Let me know what you think.

kraigg007

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Adrian, what ever happened to getting some sound clips of one of the basses that you have? They look really nice. I think that they'd be a little too modern sounding for my taste but I'm very curious to hear one.

12. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    I too enjoyed the basses he had with him at the show. I especially enjoyed the zebrawood one he had with him. If only I had money.

13. The more I see of these, the more I like 'em.

14. I have owned a Skjold Custom 6. It has been featured on his website for several weeks. Look under "Featured Bass" on his website. If it's a 6-string with a spalted top, that's mine!

I loved that bass!! I had to sell it simply because it was hurting my left hand - I'm born to play a 5, not a 6. But this is no reflection on the bass. It had great craftsmanship, great playability, and a BEEFY TONE!!

Kraig, I was there at the booth when you bought that fretless 6. It's a beautiful instrument. I love the bloodwood fingerboard! I'm going to have to think about that myself for a future fretless project... :smug:

Anyway guys, Adrian knows I'm picky - and I like these! These basses are kind of a cross between a Modulus and a Roscoe. Beefy feel and tone! Pete and Ron are very down-to-earth guys. Very unpretentious. Ron has been a woodworker, doing custom furniture for rich folks for 20 years! The guy knows a thing or two about how to build a quality piece!

Yet another bassist that says, "Check 'em out!"

15. Here's a shot of mine.....

Really wish I could've kept it.

16. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

Man that looks killer! I'm guessing it had a pretty modern sound? How would you compare the playablity to your Roscoe? (tough question, i know :p )

P.S. Did you ever get my PM John?

P.P.S. You and that Skjold looked like a happy couple :bawl:

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've only ever played one. It was at the Guitar Center in Arlington something like a week( or two? three? two?) ago. Great feel. Great sound. Body shape reminds me of Warrior(not a bad thing.)

I really didn't like the headstock, though. I'm wondering if this was an older model, though, because the 'stocks on the ones in these pictures are better looking than I remember that one being.

Has Mr.Skjold added a greater taper? These 'stocks seem to narrow more from the body end going toward those two rounded cut-ins. The one I played was fairly square going to the cut-ins. The narrowing look is much better.

18. Hey Drew!
    It was modern sounding. It had a very Ken Smith sound to my ears. The fat ebony fingerboard acted like a natural compressor. It was very smooth sounding - probably would be a great bass for the studio. If you panned to the bridge pickup and rolled off the treble, it sounded EXACTLY like a fretless bass. To compare to the Roscoe may be apples to oranges because the Skjold is a 6 and the Roscoe's a 5. It had a TON of playability. Very easy to play - it's just that for my left hand the spread to play the fingerboard was hurting me.

I was REAL happy with that bass. It made me sick I had to sell it. They really are good basses. I don't like the LaBellas he strings them with. FOR ME, they make the basses seem less than they really are. The strings on the 6-string fretless Kraig007 bought had DR Sunbeams that I gave to Pete to try out. I'm trying to get him to convert!

The single cut with the imbuya top had a prominent mid bark to it. The fingerboard is WHITE (or albino) WENGE! WOW! The other single cut with the flame maple sounded very smooth - from the mahogany.

19. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    John,

I remember you jamming at the skjold booth, and yes you are a great player. I love the sound the strings (DR's) put out. My bass is passive with only a gain boost. For a fretless I really like the tone it gives when I boost the bridge pickup and dial down the neck pickup. It sounds alot like Victor Wooten's Compito Fretless.

I really like the Slab Bloodwood fingerboard on the bass. I am not a 6 string player or a fretless player, but I have large hands, so I am learning.

I think the sweetness to the tone comes from the bloodwood board and the solid mahogany (1 piece) body. The bass is well balanced and the sound is off the charts.

I owned a Ken Smith BMT 5 Elite G and really believe that the Ken Smith was much more of a modern sounding bass than the skjold. What I have found is that Ken Smiths and Fodera (neck thru's) sound great playing by yourself, but onstage or practicing with the band, the basses don't translate. They seem to lack bottom. I believe that the bolt on is the way to go. I now have the skjold, mtd 535 and a couple of old fenders as my main basses.

I don't know why bolt ons sound better to me, but they do sound better in both the studio and live. Although I am sure that there are some neck-thru's that sound just as good, I just haven't found it.

20. Dude, this is definitely the time to buy them, before the word REALLY gets out about this guy. The craftsmanship is definitely there. :bassist: