Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Design Custom Fretless 6 String Bass

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by kraigg007, Oct 11, 2004.

1. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I am selling an amazing 6 string fretless bass made by Skjold Design. This bass was handmade for and by Peter Skjold of Skjold Design Basses out of Texas. Yes this was to be his presonal bass, so he put a lot of special features and love into it (you can definetly hear it). I purchased the bass at the Dallas Vintage Guitar Show, and am only selling it because I am not a fretless player or a 6 sting guy, but I promise it will make someone an incredible bass. This bass has the following features:

- Solid (one piece) Mahogany body
    - Highly figured maple burl top (AAAAA)
    - 5 piece maple and purpleheart neck
    - Matching Headstock
    - Bloodwood Fingerboard (Harder than Ebony and sounds amazing)
    - Rare Lane Poor Pickups that make it sound OH-SO-SWEET
    - Premium Hipshot Tuners and hardware
    - Amberburst finish that looks stunning (email me for pictures)
    - Original Hardshell case included
    - Flawless craftmanship
    - Great Playability
    - Unmatched Tone
    - The bass is in mint condition
    - If not 100% satisfied I will refund payment minus shipping charges (if returned shipped within 24 hours of receipt and returned in the original shipped condition).

This bass really sings. The only fretless that is comparable to this bass is Victor Wooten's Compito Fretless. Yes, it sounds that good. Please visit www.skjolddesign.com for more pictures of the bass and info on the company.

2. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I am asking $1800 plus shipping for the bass or I may entertain MTD 535 of 435, Sadowsky 4 or 5, or early lakland 4 string bass trade offers.

This bass retails for over $3500 with all of the options.

Thanks,
    Kraigg007

Here is a picture of the bass before it was finished, very beautiful maple burl, quilt, flame:

[​IMG]

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You don't possibly have clips do you?

4. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Sorry, I don't have any sound clips. I wouldn't know where to start and plus, I couldn't do the bass justice, since I am not a fretless player. That is why I am offering a money back guarantee and 24 hour approval. I know you will love it!

5. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    This is a 35 scale bass and it has 24 frets (fretless of course). The Low B sounds great and it has increadible ballance over all 6 strings.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Jared, you'll dig it :)

They normally have a really punchy kinda tone, allthough I have not heard this electronics and wood combo before. I can assure you Pete makes some of the nicest basses around and this one should be no exception. Pete posts here, and is a really nice guy as well. Im sure he might be able to give you some more details as well. His user name is Pete Skjold.

They are also really light, some as light as 6.5 lbs, allthough this one is likely heavier than that.
    You can get an idea of sound from this video:

Talkbass DFW GTG
    At 33 Second into the video, that is Pete playing one of his Stage Series basses. The audio isnt supurb or anything, but you can get an idea through a Shroeder.

7. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Peter is the darked hair gentleman that you see playing the inca silver skjold bass. That one looks like it has a music man pickup. I wish I was able to provide a sound clip. Anyone have any idea how I can get it done easily or do I have to go out and buy stuff.

thanks,
    kraigg007

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, Ill get some clips of the new stuff at the guitar show this weekend, but other than that, not really much you can do without a decent sound card and DI Box. If your really interested, buddy of mine has a nice setup, could possibly record some clips at his place here in Dallas if thats an option for you and you want them bad enough to go through the trouble hehe.

(oops, didnt realize you werent local hehe)

9. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Pics received.

Email will be sent.

az

10. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    I just sent them but I was at work, so I had to do it on my lunch hour.

Enjoy
    Kraig

11. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    In order to receive the email take me off your email blocker list and they should be their.

Kraigg007

12. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    I hope I can shed some light on the tone of this bass. It is bassically a passive bass with a gain stage preamp ( volume boost only) which adds a little more output to these lower impedance pickups , this allows for greater frequency range from the pickups.

The tone can be compared to that of recordings of Pino Palladino and Tony Levin. It has a very sweet top-end that is not harsh and it is warm in the mids and lows. All in all it is a very even and balanced tone, not too bright and not too dark.

I had several offers before I sold it to Kraig , he was in the right place at the right time. Who ever gets this bass is getting it for less than wholesale.

I hope I helped ,

Pete

13. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
  14. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Gain Front Pickup and Gain Back Pickup. Simple but sweet, she sounds really great with the back pick up open wide and the front pickup rolled back to about 2. That is my best fretless sound in my opinion.

Kraigg007

15. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    A sale is pending the money order is due on Friday, I will update you then. If you would like to be added to the possible buyer list, email me for additional photos and tell me your intentions.

thanks,
    Kraigg007

16. kraigg007

kraigg007

Jul 29, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    Bass is sold, here are the comments for the new owner:

Sorry for the wait – I was at my friend’s studio most of the day yesterday. His internet connection is down at present,but I don’t know if I could have pried myself away from the Skjold long enough to write, anyway. That bass truly is incredible! This is my first experience with Skjold basses and I must say this one surpassed every expectation I held for them (and my expectations were by no means low). The engineer I showed it to is still raving about the passive/gain stage pre/balanced output electronics.

I honestly don’t think I could sell this bass if my car payment depended on it, though I’m certainly glad (in a very egocentric way) that you did. =)

My only complaint is that the case won’t fit in my trunk… =)

-Seth

I told you guys, skjold basses are the TRUTH!! If you get a chance, save your Fodera money and buy one, two, or 3 skjold basses.

thanks,
    kraigg007