Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Design Shop Photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juneau, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just some photo's I took from Pete Skjold's shop this Friday. Thought yall might like to see :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Man, Pete builds some nice basses. Is he going to host another GTG soon?

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is he going to be at the Dallas Guitar Show?

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bass in the first photo on the top left. Is that a semi hollow?

I like the looks of the flame topped body. Very classy.

Great looking stuff.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    We hope so, Jon PMed me the other day about one, we'll see if we can put something together :)

Yepper, and so is Brian Barret, and hopefully Jorg Schroeder can make it out as well.

Nope, as far as I know, Pete hasnt built any hollow or semi-hollows. He may have, but Ive personally never seen or heard of one. That one is a solid body, unless Im completely off my rocker hehe.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Dude, you are venting some serious GAS. If I were to go into a workshop like that I might be walking on three legs. On a much softer note, the AB is holding her own!!

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehe thanks. I would have a problem going there myself, but being broke as I am, there isnt so much temptation lol.

And the shot with my AB in there is a horrible photo, but Pete was intrested in some body/size comparison shots of some other basses so people can see that they arent as big as they look hehe. My AB has a very small body, in fact, because of the shape, it wont even fit on one of those short stands that the body rests against. Due to Pete's design, his will fit on that type of stand, but the body isnt really any larger. So anyhow, just a comparison of size more than anything. My signature link has much better photo's of my bass hehe.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just noticed that my favorite of Pete's basses is in the 2nd from last pic. Lucky for me it's a stage series. Something about that bass talks to me. I may have to try and talk Pete out of that dark red one...

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its a looker for sure, and more importantly, blows away just about any MM style bass Ive ever heard. That thing is a slap machine. I bet he would cut you a deal on it to get it out of the shop to make way for basses with the new electronics and pickups as well.

10. Wow, thanks for sdharing, nice basses indeed, never tried those but would be curious to!
    Vince

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was really impressed with his Stage series when I was down there. It's not what I was in the market for, but if I ever do decide to go that route, I'll know who to call!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was an excellent idea. Before I saw one in person, I had thought that Pete's headstocks were a bit on the large size. But once you see one, you realize that his bodies are actually quite compact, and it's a bit of an optical illusion. In fact, his bridge is closer to the "rear" of the instrument than most basses, so if you visualize some more wood on the "hind end" (as many other basses have), the headstock looks even smaller. It looks to be almost the same dimensions as the Dingwall, which I always thought had rather compact headstocks. Sheldon builds one heck of a bass, too! That's for sure.

Thanks for sharing these shots, and for all you've done for me directly! :hyper:

Tom.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My pleasure :)

With all Pete has done for me, even though I dont even own one of his basses, doing stuff like this is the LEAST I could do hehe.

14. Pete's work has really matured a lot in the year-and-a-half that I've known him. I'm glad he's tossed the EMG's and has his own pickup and preamp with the smaller footprint (and they smoke in tone too!)

He's really stretching out on wood selection too. He has some KILLER samples at his shop. He also is making his own wooden knobs now - something not all builders are doing.

Andy, it may look like a semi-hollow but it's actually a bit on the thick side. Pete wants the wood to crank out a brawny tone so it might be on the thick side to my eyes...and shoulder.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice pix.... those are amazing looking instruments. I like that SC style in the first three pix.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    BTW, my Dingwall and the Skjold next to it both have the same overall length, same width at the widest point (of both the body and headstock), same length of the headstocks and body points, same string spacing, and both weigh almost exactly 8lbs. Even though they are totally different shapes, overall, they are about the same in all respects dimensionally. They even sound similar hehe, allthough Pete's being active it has a lot more tonal options than my passive AB.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it looked thicker and the edges aren'e carved the same as the other basses.

Are his new pickups and preamp warmer sounding than the EMG's? Anyone want to take a stab at explaining how they sound?

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    To my ears, when I switched from one of his basses using EMG pickups and electronics to one equipped with his "Skjold" electronics, the tone opened up in both directions (more clear highs, deeper, more defined lows), and it felt more well balanced, natural, and articulate. The EMG's sounded boxy by comparison. I also felt that with the Skjold electronics, I could dial in a huge range of tones, while the EMG's always sounded like EMG's. When I was there in December, I played 7-8 basses (maybe more), and several had EMG pickups or preamp, or both (some Bart's too). In every case, I strongly preferred the basses with his preamp (made by John East) and his pickups (custom wound to Pete's specs by some mystery company).

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Here is my description of them from another thread:

All I can is say is they sound amazing. Much more musical than the previous setup overall. There almost isnt a bad tone the thing could be set too.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was another noteworthy characteristic that I failed to comment on. Really amazing in that regard (no settings that sound "bad"), to be honest.