Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Options!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Jan 19, 2006.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ok, hell, I've decided that above a Zon and Modulus fretless, I'm going to get business from a great bass builder from right here in the Lone Star state.

I think I want the offset whaleback design, but that's about it. For some reason on Pete's site the "Pictures" section doesn't really have anything in it as far as options go. I've tried to just look around at past examples of previous basses sold, etc.., but I still haven't found "The One" just yet.

I need some ideas thrown my way! I plan on getting a Pro series fretless 5 (in the offset whaleback), and not sure on lined or unlined either.

Ideas would be nice!! :)

2. not sure what you mean by options...but i have a pro-series Skjold. I got a bunch of upgrades, but they were quite subtle, yet- i think impart a ton to the bass.
    First i went w/ a solid body- ash. Nothing fancy, i wanted a tobacco burst finish on an enhanced grain.
    For upgrades i ask for upgraded 3band-east preamp, upgraded bridge, hipshot detuner, lastly, everything in black. I'm not a fancy top kind of guy- subtle, understated, and classic.
    Too my ears the preamp is killer, its way flexible, very musical and Pete made some changes to the voicing esp for ash/punchy type woods to get eveything from mid scoop to grunt. The upgraded bridge is fantastic, its a modification to the hipshot bridge, but is easy-in, and got size(mass). The detuner is obvious, and the hipshot tuner keys are great.

Not sure what else to say.... i guess youve already asked at the forum over at www.skjoldplayers.com
    Here is a link to the thread describing the building of my bass (http://www.skjoldplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15)
    frank

here he is hanging w/ his two bros
    [​IMG]

Close up
    [​IMG]

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Very nice man!

I guess mainly stuff about color, body wood, board wood, body shape, etc..

Just to get some variations in there.

I'm thinking whaleback design, transparent green finish (if he's got it!), bubinga or ebony unlined fretless board, and maybe the bridge upgrade. Possibly gold hardware.

That kinda stuff.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    For fretless, I suggest you go with Mahogany body, and ask Pete about putting a C4 pickup in it. This is the combo Pete used on his own fretless, and it has one of the best fretless tones ive ever heard. His bass is the one at the top of the page in exotic customs, and also on the front page (the one he is playing).

Pete went with an ebony board, but I really dig the bloodwood fretless myself.

Also, if you look at the models page, I really dig that black/gold hardware thats pictured.

P.S. there are lots of pics on the site if you go to the individual models page, you might also check the forum.