1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Skjold Pro 6 on the Bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pocket1, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Pocket1

Pocket1

Apr 11, 2006
  2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hmm, I thought he had decided not to sell this, but guess decided to after all. This bass is awesome. I got to play it quiet a bit before it left the shop.

3. Or he did sell it, and this is the new owner reselling it???
    :confused:

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think it's the same guy - I recall him being in Connecticut. So many of us gave him grief for selling it here, he must have decided to take it straight to eBay.

5. I just ran a "6 string bass" search on ebay - and this didn't come up. So many people run titles like "SKB3006" or "MTD635" that a "6 string bass" search will zip right past these great instruments. In this case, if I'm not specifically looking for a Skjold, then I'm not going to find it searching on "6 string bass."

6. Pocket1

Pocket1

Apr 11, 2006
    curse TB...ohhh the GAS pains!! Is this Bass really a slap monster???

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is pretty much a given with Skjolds. Did you check out the video of MikeBass slapping my EC4 on the Bowlus Bass Borg GTG thread?

Tom.

8. Pocket1

Pocket1

Apr 11, 2006
    you are not helping at all!!:crying:

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
  10. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I wonder how Pete feels to see his basses on eBay so soon after they leave his shop. If I were he, I might be bothered.

(Pete, don't feel compelled to respond to this).

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I remember this bass! He got grief for selling it here??? why??

12. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    That bass on ebay is THE instrument for anyone wanting a quality 6.

BTW, there's also a 5string Skjold for sale...from Eastern Europe.:eek: That's one of Pete's older basses but stunning to behold.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I love that one! If it wasn't in Europe, I would snag it up for sure.

And I would snag this one up for sure if I played 6er's! ;)

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well if you consider the same thing happens with pretty much every top luthier, it starts not to bother you much anymore Id think hehe. Look at it this way, for the price of 1 bass, he gets to reach two customers instead of 1.

A lot of times, the people selling are funding their next custom Skjold with the sale of their first. Sometimes the ideas of what we want, arent quite what we want when its done. There are also people with more money than sense out there, and you just can't avoid that. It used to bother me seeing awesome basses get built, then a few months later seeing them for sale after being raved about by their owners. But hey, thats the way of the world - to quote EFW.

15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    A little tip, you are ALWAYS going to lose out if you search like that, people will leave out string, and they will leave out bass. Try "6" in muiscal instruments/guitar/bass, then for added measure six and "vi" (actually have seen a lot of basses like that as well as v). Then try what you just wrote and see if there is a difference. Do it for a month and I garuntee you'll see things you would not have in your search.

I remember the grief a little, and quite honestly thought if the dude wanted to sell it, he should just sell it. Happens to all the luthiers, and it definitely ain't the luthiers fault, we all make decisions based on whatever only to find it really don't taste like what we thought. No one is to blame, but you should not have to be stuck with something you don't want. Granted, that was not exactly all of the scenario, but.....

16. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    +1

I had the same thing with a Marchlewski fretless. Great instrument - top notch in cratsmanship, feel, etc. The tone was not what I envisioned in putting the woods together, but it still sounded good. FOR ME, when I commissioned the build, I was doing a TON of Latin gigs in which I play fretless. Now, I play NO Latin gigs - they just dried up. So sometimes the work necessitates what axe you have or keep.

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    BTW, IIRC this bass was purchased for a younger player by his father. He later decided he didnt like the 18mm string spacing I believe was his reason for not keeping it. At least, thats what I've heard.

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... having a custom bass built from spec sometimes doesn't turn out to have the exact tone you were looking for, and the more custom the bass, the more 'risk'. I always found it interesting that quite a few Fodera players seem to be constantly selling their Fodera's and buying another Fodera, just to then sell it again... that I never could quite figure out. I was less than happy with my Fodera, and just moved on to something else, versus 'trying again and again' to get my sound from an instrument line that just wasn't voiced to my liking. A number of Sadowsky players seem to go through this also, whereas I don't see it as much with Roscoe's, MTD's and other basses. My point being, this is pretty common in the high end custom bass world when an instrument is built from spec (i.e., when the player hears and plays it the first time after the bass is purchased).

This stuff just happens sometimes.... what looks like your 'dream bass' on paper doesnt' quite hit the mark, not because it's a 'bad bass', but because the 'tone formula' ended up differently than what you would have expected from the specs.

19. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yes, that makes sense, when you put it that way. It is a big leap of faith to buy a bass solely based on reputation, never having played one or even seen on in "person."

20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ah Tell U wut......... ;)

Pretty much why I went with an F bass. Most of the recent ones feel the same, and they pretty much sound very close to the point that I felt like I am going to get about the same in terms of playability and tone. Pretty much when I pick up an MTD, it feels and plays like an MTD, same with Roscoe. Granted, the woods do make for different tone, feel is huge.

Sometimes having that much room in specifying specs is just way too specific...... me=nerd