Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD Skjold Whaleback Pro 5 - Updated

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Justyn, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hi all,

I'm still firmly on the fence as to what I want to do with this one. I go back and forth all the time, hence the repeated postings and repostings. This one I'll leave up, honest.

For those who may have missed the details the first couple of times I posted it, here goes:

Skjold Whaleback Pro 5 made by Pete Skjold at www.skjolddesign.com.

-Ash body
    -Maple neck
    -Pau ferro fingerboard
    -35" scale with zero fret
    -Bartolini J-style split humbuckers (I think I'm getting those details right, let me check)
    -Updated - Skjold/East preamp
    -Single-cut body with bolt-on neck.
    -Recessed Schaller straplocks.
    -Ebony fingerboard ramp.
    -Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    -Hipshot 'B' bridge.

I've just sent this bass over to Pete Skjold to give it a setup and have it upgraded with the Skjold/East preamp.

Right now, I'm asking $1950 plus shipping in a gig bag. I'm open to trades for comparably valued fretted and fretless 5s, fretted 6s, anything from the Rob Allen or Rick Turner fretless acoustic camp, or ultralight cabs.

Basically, if you're intrigued, let's talk. Once I get the new preamp in I suspect I'll keep it, but as neurotic as I am, I might as well get the ball rolling in case I don't.

Thanks,
    j.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I got to play this bass Friday at Pete's shop. Its in great shape as is. I think if you went ahead with the upgrade to the new pre, and Pete's pickups, you would not want to sell it after that personally hehe.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    PM

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Here's a couple pics I snapped at the shop Friday...

With flash
    [​IMG]

Without flash
    [​IMG]

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hi gang,

I just got this back from Pete the other day and he did an amazing job shoehorning the preamp around the existing control holes while still making it easy to tweak. Pete also gave it a thorough setup and the frets gleam like new chrome. Retail on this bass new would be about $3100.

The Skjold/East preamp is stunningly versatile and I have yet to hear an unusable tone out of it and I've been putting it through the passes for hours and hours over the past two days.

Unfortunately I've realized that despite all this, it's not the bass for me, for a number of reasons, none of which run counter to the fact that this is a fantastic instrument.

So I'm keeping on with the intent to trade or sell. I play a lot of fretless, so that's always a key trading point with me. Not really interested in sixes or above right now, but fours and fives are in the running. A P-style would be really cool right about now, actually.

Beyond that, I dunno...PM me if you've got trade ideas. I'm in kind of a funk here. It's embarassing to have such a great customer experience and yet still feel like it's not quite 'the one.' I feel like I'm disappointing or insulting the builder.

Chalk it up to my quirky, neurotic nature.

Cheers,
    J.

PS New pictures will be up soon and I reckon I can post some sound clips as well.

6. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Just snapped some more pics this morning.

Here's a closeup of the new preamp. Starting from the top row and moving from right to left, the controls are:

-Volume
    -4-way pickup selector: Neck, Both series, Both parallel, bridge
    -Passive tone control, w/pull for passive and push for active
    (second row)
    -Stacked treble cut/boost w/ pull for ultrabright. Bass cut/boost
    -Stacked midrange cut/boost with frequency sweep.

The bass control is my favorite. It boosts lower frequencies the more you turn it up. Very cool.

7. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    New body shots, front and back. Note the neck joint which gives really comfortable access all the way up to the 24th fret 'g'.

8. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    A rainy Sunday afternoon bump.

Thanks,
    j.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    One minor correction, the pre-amp is boost only on the bass frequency. Midrange and Treble are both cut/boost.

Glad you upgraded it, should make it much more attractive to sell/trade :)

10. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Oops...thanks for the update! I forgot the center detent on the bass is a halfway marker, not a flat position between boost and cut.

Muchas gracias,
    J.

11. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Couple of cool potential trade offers in the works, but here's another bump.

Thanks!
    j.

12. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Traded to Zooberwerx for a lovely Elrick NSJ 5.

You'll excuse me now. I have some playing to do:)

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.