Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SKJOLD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassossorus, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    SO......I just got my new Skjold in the mail today, used it at a practice today, and this thing is AMAZING. perfect everything (balance, tone, even, 8 lbs!!! for a 6 string!!).......basically its perfect.

I have been playing a Q6 for a few years and it has been getting the job done but I really wanted that "burpy" punch that you can only get out of wood (and the sound i have in my head is maple...) I have played evveeeeeeerything looking for that perfect tone, and this past week I played a Sukop over at Rudy's and almost bought it for it was the only thing that came close, and then this came in the mail today. Its a keeper for sure, and I am a really picky player. These basses rock, give them a nice hard look. and go with the schold pups, they are out of this world. :cool: http://www.skjolddesign.com/

Attached Files:

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    simple and hot!

3. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    i was worried it would be too monchromatic....but no! in person she really sparkles. its a players bass but man, i agree, very good looking (if i might say so myself......)

i forgot to mention that pete's pricing is awesome and that he is a really great guy and easy to work with....he really knows his stuff.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Bassossorus-
    Congrats on the new Skjold! I had the priviledge to see her at Pete's shop a couple of weeks ago. Pete fired her up to demonstrate her KILLER slap tone! We were talking about wood combinations for specific tones. Pete picked that one up and let me tell you, for slap licks, that ash and maple beasty right there is just the ticket. Crisp, clear, punch!Great bass and I'm green with envy.
    Mine are being built in the next batch and I'm already jonesin' for the tone! I've got a few months to wait.
    Super bass! Enjoy.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Loved that bass since the first day I saw it finished. Glad to hear your going to enjoy it :)

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Great looking bass. IMHO, it's screaming for an exotic wood pickguard.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    BTW, be sure and post over at www.skjoldplayers.com too since your now an official member of the club :)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It has a nice, understated, creamy look to it. I like it! :)

Too true. I am flat out amazed at what you get for your money in a Skjold bass.

+1 I am very happy to have been able to work with Pete and to get to know him. He truly treats your bass like it is the most important thing in the world, and his knowledge of how to incorporate the various pieces of the puzzle to achieve a desired end point (from matching woods to pickups & electronics to setup, etc.) is impressive.

Enjoy that Skjold! :D

Tom.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice looking bass! Congrats!!

10. I too played that bass before it was spoken for. It has the most amazing growl! A hint of Marcus tone in there because of the woods used, but with a decided P bass vibe since the pickups are split.

Really a nice bass! Congrats!! So what happens to the Modulus?

And Ben...no pickguards man!! ;)

11. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    the modulus stays! that bass has changed me as a player, i could never let go of it. plus, its built like a rock.

12. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    I'm really pleased you like the bass and it is what you were looking for :)

Give me an update soon ,

Pete

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Very nice... I am a HUGE fan of Pete's work and own a SC5. Pete's basses are tone monsters.

Enjoy!!

14. A new wave of Skjold GAS has hit me, so Bassosaurus, you gotta give us a report on how this bass is workin' for ya.

What have you found? What feedback have you gotten?

(These aren't set up questions are they? :rollno: )

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very simple and solid looking bass...

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Love it, well matched neck and body woods. Post some clips I (and many others) would like to hear that beast.

17. Those things look very promising.

Hey, Tom how does your Skjold stand up to your Ritter Roya?

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those basses are both very nice, but also very different from each other. The Skjold is more open and airy (but still full and forceful), and has MTD-like sustain, whereas the Ritter has a more compressed, focused attack. As far as build quality and quality of components, the Skjold is at least the equal of the Ritter in pretty much all regards.

Tom.

19. Wow Tom,
    High praise indeed, considering all the kudos you hear about Ritter basses.