Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skuli Sverrisson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mcdonap, Dec 8, 2002.

1. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Does anybody know what Skuli has been up to lately? He's such an amazing player, and I haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Does anyone know if he's playing in NYC?

The last thing I heard he was doing was working with Laurie Anderson.

Thanks,
    Pat

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He's Icelandic, if you didn't know that, and he has been playing and recording here in Iceland with some Icelandic musicians.

3. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Phreaky,

Thanks for the info! I did know he was Icelandic. I actually met him once after a Kazumi Watanabe gig in NYC. He was extremely nice. I was a bit nervous, and I didn't know quite what to say to him. I think he sensed that, and really helped me out by doing most of the talking! It was kind of funny. I almost didn't speak to him at all, but my wife convinced me to, knowing I'd regret it if I didn't.

Do you have any info on the recording he's doing in Iceland? I've been doing a lot of internet searches, but haven't been able to find anything too recent. Are there any Icelandic sites where I might be able to order some of the material I can't find in the US?
    (I have found a couple of things from www.smekkleysa.net.)

This guy is such a talented musician/bassplayer, it's a shame he's not better known. I first found out about him when he started playing with Allan Holdsworth.

Thanks!
    Pat

4. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
  5. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Thanks for the info - I do have Alasnoaxis, but I need to get Splay. (I think Skuli's on Splay too.) It is a great disc!
    Pat

6. Hey Pat,
    My wife and I were in Italy last month, doing some shopping in Venice and there was a flyer in a store there for a concert by saxophonist (?) Chris Speed, with Skuli Sverisson on bass. I think the concert was December 1.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He released a cd recently with an Icelandic sax player, Óskar Guðjónsson. I haven't heard it, but I've only heard good things about it.
    He has also played with an Icelandic guitarist, Hilmar Jensson, and I think they will release a cd soon.

8. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Thanks for the information. I just got the Gaia cd in the mail and I'm listening to it now - a lot of tasteful and impressive playing from Skuli.

I should be getting a package from Iceland soon with:
    KLIF by Jeel Palsson w/Skuli, and Napoli 23 with Eyvind Kang, Hilmar Jensson, Skuli Sverrisson, Matthias MD Hemstock. I'll have to search for the cd with Óskar Guðjónsson.

Thanks,
    Pat