Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline 55-01 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman314, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I currently have a Skyline 55-01 fretted.. had it for about a year and a half. Love it...

I've goofed around with a couple of fretless basses at the music shops, and the more I play them, the more I hear how I could be using a fretless in a good part of what I play...

I thought about just getting a Fender MIM J... But the more I play my 5-banger and then switch to a 4-banger, the more I realize how much I actually use my B-string.

Also, the more I play my 5-banger (with ProSteels) the more I lvoe the tone.. the more I love the feel.. the more I love that bass, so I'm really thinking maybe I just need to drop the dosh on a Fretless 55-01.

Anyone have experience with a Fretless 55-01? I know the tone will be different, but how does it feel or sound?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a 55-01 Deluxe with the USA NTMB preamp upgrade (same as 55-94). I really liked its playability, but didn't care for the slap tone probably due to the rosewood board. So, I had a local luthier defret it. As a fretless, it sounds great now. Tones range from fat big bodied fretless tone to the classic Jaco tone. The neck, like all Laklands, is very easy to play.

Attached Files: