1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Skyline 55-01 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman314, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I currently have a Skyline 55-01 fretted.. had it for about a year and a half. Love it...

I've goofed around with a couple of fretless basses at the music shops, and the more I play them, the more I hear how I could be using a fretless in a good part of what I play...

I thought about just getting a Fender MIM J... But the more I play my 5-banger and then switch to a 4-banger, the more I realize how much I actually use my B-string.

Also, the more I play my 5-banger (with ProSteels) the more I lvoe the tone.. the more I love the feel.. the more I love that bass, so I'm really thinking maybe I just need to drop the dosh on a Fretless 55-01.

Anyone have experience with a Fretless 55-01? I know the tone will be different, but how does it feel or sound?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a 55-01 Deluxe with the USA NTMB preamp upgrade (same as 55-94). I really liked its playability, but didn't care for the slap tone probably due to the rosewood board. So, I had a local luthier defret it. As a fretless, it sounds great now. Tones range from fat big bodied fretless tone to the classic Jaco tone. The neck, like all Laklands, is very easy to play.

Attached Files: