Skyline 55-01 needs more oomph

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've had a skyline 55-01 for a couple years now. It's got a great solo sound but it never feels totally present in a band setting, and I've tried all kinds of EQing and whatnot. The problem is it's just got too polite of a sound and I need it to have some more balls. An example of my ideal tone can be heard
    Damian Erskine plays a modulus quantum. That might have either EMGs or barts, I'm tending to think EMG. The tone is more than just the pickups, I know I know I know, but I'm looking for a soapbar that has that kind of booty and really cuts. I know routing will be necessary, but I am totally down with that.
  2. Barts tend to be polite also.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

you can almost bet anything that is sweet solo will suck to tunes. You mentioned eq'ing but what about something different externally. I constantly read about Sans DI's adding nards to basses lacking, or MXR M-80, whatever. It's something you could get some idea about from dropping by GC (wherever) and pick up used for less than a set of pups new would run. Doesn't work out send it packing and not be out much. Not that the pup swap may not work out fine but irreverseable mods are less than ideal, cause it may not work out.
  4. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    You didn't say which pre you have, but if it's the stock pre,you might want to consider an NTMB. I've got an NTMB-L in mine. Having the choice of Mid center Freq. might just be the ticket.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, the preamp upgrade was a big improvement on my 55-01. You might also fool around with different strings, if you haven't already done that--some strings like MTD steels are very bright and aggressive sounding, though I used Lakland steels on my 55-01 and DJ5.

The pickups on Erskine's Modulus are EMGs (you can see in one of the pics on the site). Swapping pickups might get you closer to the sound you're looking for, but the Modulus also has a fairly bright, lively tone all it's own from the graphite neck. Does your 55-01 have a rosewood or maple board? My guess is that it'd be easier to get the sound you want with maple rather than rosewood...