Skyline 55-01 Vs. MTD Heir 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Lakland Skyline anyday!

18 vote(s)
  2. The Heir smokes it man!

12 vote(s)
  1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Again guys - I posted a poll last week pitting the MTD Heir 5 against a Musicman Stingray 5

Unfortunately the guy who was selling the Musicman has changed his mind.... However I received an e-mail this morning to inform me that Lakland's Skyline series of basses are now available in the UK!

So here goes again guys! What do you think is better and why?

Maybe I should add that there isn't the same price diff over here - instead of $999 vs $699 (recommended price before people start shouting that they can buy it cheaper at 'x's'-store!) they are very nearly identically priced over here!

Give it all you've got guys!

2. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    How are things in Belfast?:)

I have the Heir 4 and like its neck and style and all but if all things are equal I think the Lakland is the better deal. I think the Lakland has an ash or alder body compared to basswood. Don't the Lakland's have active preamps already onboard?

The reason I got the heair is because I got a good deal used and the skyline was about $400 U.S. more and I'm on a budget.

3. I have found myself faced with the identical dilemma.

A better comparison would be Heir with a pre-amp vs. Skyline 55-01.

The Lakland has the pre- out of the box but also has a reputation for having a thick, wide neck whereas the Heir is known for its thinner neck. The Heir also has the Buzz Feiten tuning system, if that's important to you.

Anyway, your best bet is to go play both (if you can find stores in your area that carry either).

As for me, I am unable to play either and I think it's shameful that there are no stores in the Washington, DC metro area that carry either brand (at least according the the Lakland and MTD websites). However, I plan on buying an Heir and installing a pre-amp.
  4. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    You're right about the neck of the Heir. It is really thin. It's also a very fast playing neck. I asked Mike Dimin about the pre-amp in the bass. He says he plays it stock but through a killer head. I think once you see the finish you'd be reluctant to start cutting up the body although the control cavity is big enough. Also, I'd bet the Heir (basswood) is lighter than the Skyline.

Although I don't slap much, the Heir is awesome for slapping and popping. I considering decent outboard pre-amps instead of onboard.
  5. I'm interested in strictly on-board so I can fool with it while playing or in-between songs.

From what I understand, the control cavity is plenty big and I can easily rig up a Vol/Blend/Stacked Bass and Treble without drilling a single new hole.

If I want to add a mid, then there's some drilling involved, but not really a big deal.
  6. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Good point. I didn't think of the push/pull knobs. Any manufacturers your considering?
  7. So far, just Bartolini. I don't know a whole lot about pres and I don't plan on buying until I know a lot more.

I've considered the Agiular, but it's a boost only and I like the flexibility of a boost/cut set.

Of course this is all highly theoretical as I haven't ordered my bass yet.
  8. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've considered an Heir with a U-Retro. That way you can have the option of going passive. The only down side is you'd have to drill two small holes for the pickup select and the active/passive. Also, it would be cool to have a coil splitter before the preamp, but that would be yet another hole in the beautiful finish.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Some things to consider other than the relative price of the 2 basses.

Your personal taste in sound
    Quality of construction
    24 vs. 21 frets

You really need to play them both to make an informed decision.

If you want to compare basses in the same price range wait a bit for the new MTD Saratoga. The Lakland and the Saratoga should have similar retail prices. I don't think there will be any problem making a choice then

10. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    OK I'll bite.

The Saratoga? What's that? Anywhere to find previews?
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike Tobias is currently looking into introducing a new bass from his Korean line, the Saratoga. If you do a search here you might find some more info. Adrian Garcia has a pic of one somewhere on his site.

It is a korean made MTD with a real 8 mm figured top, American made parts (bridge, tuners, etc), Bartolini pickups (active), matching headstock .... It is similar to the Grendel. I played a prototype and was blown away.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Search for

Discontinueing the Grendal?
  13. Mike -

How would you compare the Saratoga vs. the Grendel?

14. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Whoa just checked out the pics of the Saratoga. Man those things are awesome. I'd wait for the Saratogas.:D :D
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Saratoga- Grendel-
    essentially the same bass except one was made in the Czech republic and one will be Korean- where did you see the pics, on my site??
  16. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Yeah. It was under the extras part of your web site. I didn't notice till after I reread Mike D's post it's the basses to the right of the USA models. No one responded so I let it go.

Homer voice on:

Homer Voice off:
  17. Here's the word on the Saratoga straight from "the man"

Thanks for your interest and I am sorry to have taken so long to reply.

I have been waiting on the production schedule for the new basses. The
    Saratoga series will replace the Grendel. It will be essentially the same
    bass, but coming from the factory in Korea that makes the Heir and Kingston
    basses. We are expecting the first shipment of Saratoga basses in late June.
    The first runs will be small so we can check the quality and help organize
    the production systems to maintain it. The intended price range is 1500-1600
    using Bartolini and Hipshot parts.

Michael Tobias
    MTD (Michael Tobias Design)
    3 Lauren Court
    Kingston, NY USA 12401
    voice 1 845 246 0670
    fax 1 845 246 1670