Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline 55-02, a Mid Range, "All-Rounder?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Okay, Ive posted a few times before concerning this subject, i apoligize if Im flooding.

Im looking for an all-round bass to play alot of tones, most of which are rock and heavy rock (like Godsmack) and the occasional nu-metal song and maybe a few metal songs (like metalica.) I'm wanting something with thundering lows, capable of bringind down the walls on a 15" driver, but with alot of clarity and five strings as well.

I've previously been directed to a Bass Central stock as I live in Cent. Fla. and people have reccomended a Kingston MTD bass. But, recently I've been thinking of a Schecter Custom 5 or maybe another Peavey, perhaps a Fury or Cirrus BXP? BUT, tonight I was looking through my MF catalog at spotted the LAKLAND Skyline 55-02. I always overlooked these for some unknown reason.

My question is simply what do you guys think of these? I'd like to hear both sides of the spectrum on this one. Aside from pickups, are the 01s and 02s much differant? Tonewise?

Thank you for actually reading all of this, I love it when someone responds, and thats few and far in between with me.

Thanks again,
    ~Ryan.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-01 is bright and aggressive. Great for playing heavy music and cutting through distorted guitars.

The 55-02 is darker and more 'polite'. The USA Barts that it comes with would not be my choice for playing heavy music.

Both are very good basses. They are basically the same bass, except for the electronics.

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL

+1, IME

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +2 on the 01 being bright and aggressive. A local bass player/friend owns one, and I have had plenty of time playing it and hearing it from out front. Personally, I think it sounds great, especially when slapped.

I have only tried an 02 briefly, so my experience is too limited to really comment much about them.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've tried the 44-02 and 55-02 a couple of times, and while they're nice, versatile basses, I wouldn't want one for heavy music. They don't have very aggressive tones IMO. (In fact, I recall a thread a few weeks ago over in "pickups" about wanting to get a more aggressive tone out of a Lakland.) For metal, you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the 55-02 personally. If I didn't have 2 custom basses on the way I wouldn't be selling it. It's one of the best mid-range basses I've played.

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Incredible. If it's not aggressive enough for you have them install Basslines at that the shop.

I'm either going to get a 55-02 or a 55-94 whichever comes first :).

EDIT: Just noticed that Drowning Pools bassist uses a Lakland 44-02/94, or atleast he did on tour playing the song sinner.

8. embellisher

Now with the Basslines option, a 55-02 can get VERY aggressive. It would work very well for heavy music. And it gets pretty darned close to the vintage Stingray tone, too, which IMHO the Bart 55-02 does not.

Unfortunately, the Basslines add another $150 to the price of the 55-02. You can get a HH Bongo for less than that, and if I were looking for a bass in that pricerange, number 1 and 2 would be the Cirrus and the Bongo.

9. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a bass that'll do well in cutting through the mix of hard rock?

I still like the Lakland, but some of you guys seem doubtful of it.

What about a used Warwick 'Vette? I found a passive one for $650, should I get it and swap in some active BassLines, and and active preamp?

Any other ideas?? Im completely clueless as to what I should look for, and I don't want to go to GC and play 100 basses and not like over 3/4s of them... HELP!!!

~Ryan.

10. embellisher

The 55-01 will do it. So will the G&L L2500, although it doesn't have the comfy 3/4" bridge spacing that the Lakland has.

There are plenty of other basses that will too.

11. well, in the 500-800 range... go on, do tell! :D

~ryan

12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Me too, but I would also add that from a value perspective, yous should reallyt weigh the fact that the 01 is about 1/2 the price of the 02. So you are literally paying double to get the 02's more trendy MM+jazz pickup configuration. IMO, the 01 is soo much more bang for the buck and still get plenty of tonal variety from 2 soapbars. You can always upgrade to 02-like electronics if you must and for less money all in. I'd certainly go for the 01 if you are looking to stretch a dollar.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    At around $600, the G&L Tribute 2500 is hard to beat. I'd at least look at one before settling for a Lakland.

14. Where do you find a $600 L2500?!?! I can only find them form BassCentral for like $900,and some for $1000. If you know where I can get a cheap one, let me know, I'm very interested!

PS, does anyone know about the Ibanez SRX series??? Just jogged my memory looking at the double humbucker G&L.

Thanks, still a tad confused, but finding the light,
    ~Ryan.

15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    The L2500 Tribute model, which is identical to the straight L2500 in almost every respect, retails for just under $600 in its most deluxe version. If you go for a basswood body they are even less.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

The -01 kinda' just "laid there" for me, while the -02 attacked me by the throat. No contest. Growls like crazy, and a thunderous and taught B. Not only that, but I find it plenty bright, and to have a slap tone that's killer. The only thing I'd say it can't quite do is the classic J bridge tone. That MM pickup makes it a lot more Stingray-like than J like (gee, wonder why...) :)

I know the -01's are well loved, however, so I know they're great basses... just the couple I messed with didn't bowl me over.

IMHO as always...

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    (...than the -02) Agreed. In my case, I just really wanted that 55-94 tone (but couldn't afford THAT) :)

Wow, I don't know about this one. I'd think that'd be an ugly body mod.

18. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I said I was gonna stay out of these threads but here I come again to back up my 02. Ill just echo what Vic says here. Dont get the wrong impression that the 02 is a timid little instrument. I think thats the impression people who has never played one get from some of the comments here. I play in a ... semi metal band... And I can cut through just fine vs 2 powerchorded distorted tube amps... but iv said all this before. 01 better bang then buck for 02 ... depends on if thats the sound you want. but if you want the 94 sound then the 02 has it down. O and to say settle for a Lakland? Id never say getting a Lakland would be settling.

19. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I know this isn't your music style, but here's a clip of a classic rock style song.
    55-01, NTMB, Lakland Nickel Roundwound, Bridge Pickup

http://www.soundclick.com/tomkatz

Bill

20. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Embellisher mentioned the Duncans were a $150 upgrade. It actually is a $200 upgrade. I believe it's well worth it. The bassline MM pickup they put in the Lakland is actually smaller than a 'out of the box' Basslines MM pickup, and the single coil pickup is "special" as well.