1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skyline 55-02 low end.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 59jazz, Jul 11, 2012.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Last Sunday I played 2 sets Sunday morning with my MM Sterling 5HH, then my shoulder started to really ache; even with a quality 3.5" leather strap. I borrowed the music pastor's Skyline 55-02 for the 3rd service, and without altering the settings on the FOH & my Avalon U5, I noticed a more pronounced lowend........I could feel it on the stage flooring. Does the 35" scale have something to do with this, or is it the Bart pre? I really like the 10" radius on the 55-02 and it's at least 1# lighter than my Sterling 5.......I was even comfortable with the cheap nylon 2" strap on the 55-02.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have a buddy who bought a Stingray 5 to play at church because the guitar player had one and loves them. He just about cries every time he plays my 55-01 (with Barts and Audere preamp). It's quite awesome.

3. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Yeah, I gotta say the 55-02 sounds great in church - I prefer it over the MM SUB5, and yeah I think it's the 35" scale, because the low B just thunders in the House of God...

4. Wow. It sounds good in church, huh? That's weird, wasn't the Skyline developed for Anton LeVey?

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    just a heads up, not every skyline is created equal. The one I had sounded amazing!....BUT....it weighed 13 lbs. I've had Laklands that weigh anywhere between 8.5 lbs to the boat anchor of 13 lbs. Now, don't get me wrong, that 55-02 was one of the best sounding basses I've ever had. It was worth the sore shoulder.

6. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mt Skyline 55-02 has a huge low end. First rehearsal I played it my drum looked at me in astonishment as he heard the huge tone coming out of my amp.
    Also, my Skyline only weighs about 8-9 lbs.

7. IMO, there's nothing inherent about the 55-02 that gives it "pronounced lowend." I think you were simply hearing a matter of eq.

Definitely agree on the weight though. If you liked that one in part because it felt lighter than something else, there's an absolute possibility that the next 55-02 could vary by a pound or more. I don't have an accurate enough scale, but if my 55-01 is 9 lbs, my 55-02 is probably closer to 10. The 55-02 has a deluxe top...don't know how/if that affects weight.

8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Well noted.....I'll keep my eye open for one under 10 lbs; no heavy bass is worth the sound for me;)

9. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Try to get a 44-02 and play it on the same circumstances. Then you'll know if the 35" scale is responsible for the sound you're hearing or it is the pickups/electronics combo only.