Skyline 55-02 Slap sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrydad, May 7, 2005.

1. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Hey there bass heads,
    I'm sure someone else has asked this goes : how close does the Skyline 55-02 slap sound come to a 70's jazz bass slap sound (a.k.a. the "Marcus Sound")?...close?...nails it?....not at all?...I MUST KNOW!!!!!!!
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    kinda close --
    if you use the switch to select the coil closest to the bridge, you can have a sound close to a Jazz. But real Fenderheads would hear the difference.
    The 55-02 is a great bass, though... it comes close to a Music Man as well and has it's own very happening tone.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Probobly as close as your going to come on a fiver in that price range. I'd go DR strings, in fact they have a Marcus set, That I'll help a lot. And lots,lots,lots,lotslots,lots,lots,lots, of PRACTICE!!!!
  4. My Lakland has a rosewood fretboard and an alder body, I can't really get the marcus hifi tone no matter how I EQ.. But my guess is that if you have the maple/ash config, you'll probably get a tone similar to his. Keep in mind that the barts are not too hot..
  5. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Thanks for all the feed back guys. I Don't need the exact Marcus tone...hey, I'm not Marcus (sob)...My bass has the '62 J pickup placement, awsesome for fingerstyle and soloed bridge pickup stuff, but sometimes a little too thick for slap. Sounds like Adrian's suggestion (neck pickup w/ bridge coil of MM) may be the ticket. If anyone has a 55-02 and would like to post a clip of this configuration (slapped) that would be great. Sometimes Realplayer doesn't open these clips for me so I may not get to hear it, but hey, I'm sure they'll be fun to hear and useful for fellow TBer's as well. Thanks again.