Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline basses 01 vs 02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevinlane, May 16, 2002.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Anyone have had or had access to both?

what are your thoughts?
    Can the o1 sound like a single coils?
    does it have taps?
    Are they the same except for electronics?

I want a good 2nd single coil sounding bass, will wither fit the bill?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They are not the same. The 55-01 has two soapbar pickups, while the 55-02 has a Jazz pickup in the neck position and a MM in the bridge. I have a 55-01, and it can sound like two single coils. I don't know about the 55-02, but I suspect with the MM pup it would be hard to get that sound. Maybe someone with experience with that configuration can help you on that.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've only tried a 55-01, so I won't pretend to know that model.

But when the blend knob of my 55-02 is biased towards the single coil/neck pup or it's soloed and the mids knob is down, it's classic single coil -

scooped mids, glassy highs, and clear, defined, transparent lows.

If it had a maple top instead being an all- swamp ash body, I'm sure it would sound even brighter and clear.

4. "I don't know about the 55-02, but I suspect with the MM pup it would be hard to get that sound. Maybe someone with experience with that configuration can help you on that."

On the 55-02, like on the USA Laklands, you can select either both coils, neck coil only or bridge coil only on the MM pickup by using the three-way coil tap switch. It's still going to sound somewhat humbucker-ish, I don't know if any splittable pickup fully nails a true single-coil sound, but it's pretty good, especially when blended with the neck single coil. The 55-01 doesn't have coil taps, just Vol/Blend/High/Mid/Low.

mike