Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

skyline battery question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I recently took the battery out of my skyline (don't remember why) and noticed it made no noise which didn't surprise me because it's active. But when I switched to passive it still made no sound. Is this just the case with all basses with batteries? Does it mean that if I'm playing and my battery starts to go out the only thing I can do is get a new battery?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    On the Lakland (I have a 55-01), the bypass mode just bypasses the EQ, you still have to have a battery for it to work. It is not the same with all basses. I know Carvin basses work in passive mode without a battery, and I'm sure there are others that work that way.

3. Well, it's possible that the battery is making some sort of connection, and that it would work even if the battery was dead, as long as there was something in there. I certainly haven't looked at the circuit enough to know for sure, though.

Mike

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I believe that the battery is part of the circuit, and it needs to be in for the bass to work in eq bypass mode, but I think it still would even if the battery was dead. I am not sure on that, but as I remember, the battery is part of the circuit, as Mike suggested.

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Funny, in jazz band today my battery started to go. I started getting the quiet distorted sound and switched to passive and was getting the same kind of sound. Is it possible that the mk1 pickups are active?

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't think they are. In fact, aren't most barts not active, which is one the their big "features"? But what do I know, anway.

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Wait, I just read about this in another thread, and they are not active, but they do need a battery to work, as it is part of the circuit.