Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, May 9, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I just purchased a Skyline Darryl Jones bass from Bass Central and have never bought one without trying it out first. I made this purchase based on information that I've read on Talkbass about the Skylines.

I was trying to decide between the Joe Osbornes and the Darryl Jones but decided to go with the Jones because of the ash body...I already have two alder basses but both of them are active and I wanted a passive bass. Hope I made a good decision....

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Hope you like it!

FYI, the body on the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn is ash, not alder.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Should be awesome, I hope to try one some day. I'm trying to make my SX look similar to it and sound somewhat similar. I've never played one but I've played and want the 55-02. My plan is to get my SX Jazz to be my Daryl Jones and then buy the 55-02 later when I have the funds.

Lakland :bassist:

4. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    You won't be disappointed with the DJ. I got mine a while back and it sounds great. Granted, I have the J-Retro upgrade too, but it sounds great in passive also! In fact, I accidently gigged with it once in passive (not realizing I had switched it) and I really liked what I heard.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones is the best sub $2000 jazz style bass in existance.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I finally got to play one of these last week. I thought the DJ was much more impressive than the JO. IMO, you made the right choice.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm getting so excited while reading your posts. I can't wait to get it and hopefully it'll get here before my next gig.

8. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Hey I was looking at a Lakland yesterday the DJ model. A local shop just got one back, the guy wanted a fretless instead. The bass is in like new conditon and it's going used for $695.00 I think. I don't know what these things cost new, so is that a good price? I like the bass, it's the blue color with white pick guard. I didn't plug it in, but I liked the neck and I'm always willing to grab a deal if you all think the price is tastey.

So tastey or not tastey? :confused:

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    That sounds like a great deal. New, they go for about twice that price. I'd jump on it!

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, I'd grab it. One just went on the bay for $900 if that tells you anything.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Does anyone know offhand what the scale length of a DJ5 is, and how similar the neck is to the other Lakland stuff?

Sorry if this has been covered before.. I couldn't immediately find it in a search.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    DJ5 is 35"

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That's a GREAT price. Grab it.

14. Buy It man!!! It is a very good price.

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Well, while the thread's up here... Does anyone have any clips of a DJ4 or DJ5? I've been wondering what they sound like.

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Anyone? :(

17. I'm interested in listening to some clips too... anyone?

18. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    me to, anybody???

19. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    No clips, but I believe the latest live Stones cd features Jones on his signature bass. Probably the best way to hear it too.

20. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just bought a Skyline Darryl Jones 5-string this week and replaced the stock strings with Thomastik Jazz Flats. What a great sound!

By the way, does anyone know where to get replacement pickguards? My bass is pearl white with a white pickguard, and I'd like to get a tortise-shell or black pearl pickguard.