Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Daryl Jones Four vs. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For those of us without Sadowsky, Lull, USA Lakland, etc. money, these two basses seem to be pretty awesome seventies style Jazz basses. I have played several Geddies and I think they're great. How does the Daryl Jones Skyline compare?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I ran into a used Daryl Jones jazz in CAR. I was in good condition and sounded pretty darn good. Now I also have a MIA 75R.I. CAR bass so I did a little comparing. Sound wise I did sorta like the 75 better but the Jones bass was nothing to sneeze at. As a matter of fact if I'd bought the DJ bass first then tried the 75R.I. I might not had bought the R.I. bass. The DJ neck was a round C while the 75R.I. was flatter front to back (for those who have a Geddy and a 75 or even a Marcus Miller bass the difference between the DJ and the Geddy bass is going to be much greater than that. I don't think you could go wrong with either bass.

PS I might still get a Daryl Jones Jazz :cool:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned both, personally I preferred the DJ. I thought it had more low end, which probably has something to do with the Aero pickups. It just felt more like 'me' when I played it, personal preference of course.
    The geddy is a great bass too, I just couldn't warm to the sound of it.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The DJ bass does indeed have more lows than the Geddy Bass. I think the badassII has something to do with this. I am even considering removing my badassII from my GL bass.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think there both excellent values, I'm kinda partial to the areo pickups myself, plus I think the consistancy of workmanship is better on the skylines then the fender. My main bass rught now is a metro but I'm condsidering one of them DJ's for a back up, alternitive voice. One thing to consider, if you can afford the J-retro option on the lakland, there really cool. I don't mean to imply that the Geddy is a poor bass, try them both if you can.

6. me too! I deff think the BAII gives a brighter, more compressed sound as compared to a low mass, thin plate bridge which give a more full tone. certainly more lows!

7. reptilia

reptilia

Jun 7, 2006
    Lost in SoCal
    I say go with the DJ. It seems like every bassist has a Geddy now.

8. The DJ Laklands I've played have smoked any Geddy I've had a chance to get my hands on. The biggest difference was the quality of the necks. Much less care goes into the wood selection on the Geddys. Not to mention the better sounding pickups (in my opinion), higher quality tuners, better fretwork, and superior build quality on the DJs. It's not a very fair comparison with the DJ at about double the price. A more fair comparison would be the DJ against the '75 reissue american Fender like someone said above. I think the Fender is voiced to be a little brighter and punchier, so it kind of comes down to personal preferance.

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I can get alot of lows with my geddy lee but that my be helped bytthe custom shop pickups In it. I could (eventually will) put a j Retro or and audre pre in it an still be under what the DJ is worth and that sounds pretty good to me.

10. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's difficult to compare a $1100 street to $700 street bass.

The DJ is higher quality, and I personally like the tone much better. I do like the geddy neck though.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 to pretty much all of this. The Lakland in many ways is a better instrument, IMO, but it IS also considerably more expensive. The '75 RI is a more fair comparison.

I'd still pick the DJ, though. :D

I'm a huge fan of the Aero pickups, and the neck on my DJ is the best I've played aside from my Sadowsky.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I forgot all about this one! I say money isn't everything. Higher sticker usually indicates better quality, but it is not absolute. That said, I still like Geddys, and I may yet get one.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I like the Geddy. I LOVE the DJ.

14. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have DJ and an MIA Jazz and if I could afford it, I'd have a Geddy too! All good basses, just pick what you like. :hyper:

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Having played several examples of both and owned one, my take is the difference in between the Geddy and the DJ is about as equivalent as the difference between the DJ and the Metro. The DJ is almost twice as much as the Geddy (used market) it should be better! Here are my quick takes keeping in mind I own two Sadowskys and an American Fender.

1) The Geddy Lee- Probably the most gig-able entry priced bass on the market. You can find them all day used for 550$ if you hunt, in good shape. They have a great tone, a great neck. My take on them is the need a little more um-mph, a little weak in the low end, and if I was to gig with one I would add an active pre and better tuners. But it is a great platform for the price!

2) The Daryl Jones- My favorite take on a stock 70's Fender I actually prefer it to the Fender reissues for consistency in workmanship and tone. They are gig-able out of the box and probably one of the best production passive basses on the market right next to the very underrated Fender Roscoe Beck. My only criticism of them is I don't like the neck contour of the five string.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The more I think about it, it makes more sense for me to get an active Jazz, if I get one at all. I already have a Peavey Foundation with the Super Ferrite single coils. That bass has as good of a passive J-vibe as any bass I have ever played.

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Is the pickup spacing on the DJ4 60's or 70's position? That makes such a huge difference in tone.

I've had a DJ5 and have a Geddy, and to me its a toss up in every way. Just a different sound and a different look. From what I hear you guys saying about quality though, I guess I have a "pick of the litter" geddy. The thing smokes, no dead spots, very even, and great tone. I also put in some antiquity IIs which give a slightly better tone than stock.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've thought about that same question, many times. The first time I played a GL was at Bass Central a few years ago. I was blown away with how "alive" it sounded, and it felt amazing! Since then, however, I've played no less than 3 other GLs and was never as taken as I was with the first one...perhaps due to setup? Who knows...

All I know is that I currently own a DJ5 and have played a few others and they all speak to me *at least* as much, if not more, than that first GL I played a few years ago. It's a tremendous bass, with some similar tonal qualities, but much more "solid" feeling, and "rich" sounding, particularly in the lows.

I remember reading an interview with Geddy in Bass Player. He commented on how Fender gave him a few GLs but they never had quite the same low end his actual bass had, which he attributed to his pickups being re-coiled at some point. To me, that's one of the positive attributes of the DJ...it's got that low end that the GL seems to be lacking, at least IMO.

If it were me, I'd spend the extra $$$ to get the DJ any day of the week.

19. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I would love to try a DJ as I've never heard a negative review,they don't bring them in where I live, I have a Geddy and will say that it and every Geddy I've tried smoke(if you like the thinner neck,and black)I'm a geezer and have played bass over 30 years,I've played and owned a lot of basses good and bad and IMO the Geddy is far and above the best value,at any price my pups have plenty of bottom, my tuners never give me grief,the finish and assembly is first rate,apart from a Ricky I owned a few years ago I get more compliments on my tone,It's so good that my Thumb sits ,having said all that , I would get a used Geddy and drop a set of aeros in it if you don't like the stock ones, and get a used Skyline Joe Osborne and put flats on her,best of both worlds, and it would cost what a new DJ would cost. Just because a bass costs more doesn't mean Jack,by what speaks to ya and don't worry where it's made or what the decal says