Skyline Glaub or Fender Highway 1 P: Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newchibass, Nov 29, 2004.

1. newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Hello fellow bass players:

I need a solid and reasonably priced P bass. Glaub or Fender?

2. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    I'd go Fender. but then again, thats just me. You pick which one you want. :bassist:
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, I'd never pick a fender over a lakland...
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Funny you say that. I've had one guy offer to trade straight up, his Glaub Skyline for my Hwy 1 P! :bassist: I declined.
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I should say that, while I haven't played a Glaub, I HAVE played my 55-01. The quality, fit, finish & over all feel is better than just about any Fender I can recall every playing. American, Mexican, whatever. Even my old 70's P-bass, which I stupidly got rid of many years ago.
  6. KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Did I mis-read, or did he not just say he owned the Fender Highway 1 and he did not accept the trade to get the Lakland? Or is my brain still disengaged from turkey hangover? :oops: :)
  7. skyline glaub all the way
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    How conservative are the people you are playing with? I find alot of people are very impressed that I have a "real Fender". It immediately gives you more credibility.
  9. i've only played a USA glaub. it was outstanding. i based on my experience at the lakland shop, i would select a glaub over a fender P of just about any build or title.

10. newchibass

May 21, 2004
    That is a good point: I have heard of bandleaders that want nothing other than "fender" on the headstock, regardless of the sound. Despite that, I think the guys I play with are pretty open minded, though they all play Fenders! I am just going to have to A/B them.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
  11. If the Glaub is anything near the Daryll jones or the Joe Osbourn don't even hesitate!!!!!

Besides like I posted in another thread, I just saw a guy sell his hwy 1 (mint)for 125 bucks in a local shop, I bet if you offered them 175 they would take it!
  12. Another vote for Lakland - go Glaub. I've not played one, but have a Skyline Hollowbody and played a 55-02, JO5, and DJ4 - all really nice basses. I'm currently saving up for my next Lakland. Also don't forget the Duck Dunn.

I would be concerned about joining any band that preferred one brand over another, especially if it's bassed on name-brand alone. Asking if I have a "real Fender" is like asking if I own an SVT, and selecting me only because of my equipment, not my sound, playing/reading ability, or personality. Sometimes, it can also be a minus. I'm in a band with 3 guitarists that all use Fender amps, but they all hate Strats and Fender guitars and prefer Les Pauls and PRS's.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Glaubs are the only other P-bass besides G&L I'd want to own.
  14. I would pick an American series P over the Glaub but not the Highway One. It's a good bass but the Glaub definitely feels better.
  15. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't played the Hwy 1, but I have a Skyline Glaub and love it. I would put in on the same level as my American P bass, if not higher in some aspects.
  16. Are the skylines korean basses? are they better than american fenders?
  17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Right now I own a Skyline Glaub and MIM P. I have played an American Fender P but it wasn't through my amp so I can't really compare. I like the Glaub alot. It's godly compared to the MIM P. Much more musical tone and I like a satin finish on the back of the neck over an oil finish.

Yeah, they're Korean. But you have to keep in mind Dan Lakin designed the Skyline Glaub specifically to go head to head with the Fender American Std P. With Lakland's exhaustive quality control they are one of the few companies I would buy from without playing first.
  18. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Go for the Lakland. I just scored a USA Glaub - unbelievable P Bass! Amazing fit and finish, sound, looks... From all I've heard the Skylines are not very far behind the USA models. I was actually shopping for a Skyline when I found the USA on eBay.

19. KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    How would you say it's on the same level as your American P bass, and in what aspects is it better?