Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

skyline glaub vs Fender US RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddtodd, Dec 13, 2005.

1. is a skyling glaub 200$ better than a fender US 62RI?
    in interested in all opinions.

thanks

-todd

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't think so, because the Fender costs several hundred more new, i.e., $1,300 for the Fender versus about $900 for the Lakland. But if you've found a used or new old stock Skyline Glaub with a Jazz neck, which is no longer available, I suppose that could close the gap if you want a Jazz neck. The Lakland also has a Lindy Fralin pickup, which some (perhaps many) find superior to the Fender's (love Fralins myself), but that would cost less than $200, so it can't explain a $200 difference.

Also, if you're looking at used ones on eBay, weird things happen, so a Skyline Glaub certainly might sell for $200 more than an American Vintage Precision on any given day. I've been following American Series Precisions for awhile, and comparable ones have sold from $480 to about $770, which is more than a $200 range. And I've seen some American Vintage '62's with very attractive pricing, so who knows?

3. ok
    so just humor me,
    new US 62RI pbass at 700 vs new skyline glaub at 900.

watcha pick and why?

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    One thing to remember is that while Fender certainly has a ton of quality instruments on the market, there are zero luthiers out there who take more pride in their work than Dan Lakin of Lakland. Even his Korean imports, the Skyline products, have a fit and finish that's comparable to the US models. I've owned one Skyline, and bank account willing, I'm going to pick up a Skyline Glaub (with the Dark Star) in the near future. I don't even like P Basses, but I was blown away in every respect by these guys. I've never played your reissue, but with a Lakland, you know what you're getting every time, and it is an instrument to behold. Whether or not it's $200 better is something only you can decide, based on your preferences and financial situation. For me, the Lakland is worth the price and more.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Is that NOS or MIJ for the 62 RI? Typical price on a new MIA is $1200+. Either way, Glaub is hands down better. I finally got one and it's the best Pbass I've ever played. Flawless construction and a super neck that takes a crazy low setup.

Even so, here's a few pluses for the Fender: Likely to appreciate, alder body and comes in white, more consistently lightweight (Skylines can run from 8-10 pounds).

But based on tone, construction and playability it's the Glaub for me. If you can really get an MIA Fender RI for $700 I'd say buy it, sell for a profit, and get the Glaub.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Have you actually played the 62 or the Glaub? That might have some effect on your decision.

I've played Fenders that have knocked me out and Laklands that have put me to sleep. It all depends upon the individual axe. Can the parties who are selling these give you the weights? Lightweight is good.

If I had to do a blind decision? Fender US. A no-brainer for me. The Fender US will probably have a better resale value -- something worth thinking about if you can't actually play either of these babies.

Also, what do they look like? Ugly is always a liability!!! :D

7. I've recently owned a Fender USA RI (a 57) and I currently own a SL Glaub with a darkstar. Fit, finish and playablility wise my Lakie crushes the Fender. It is the nicest feeling and lightest Pbass I've ever owned. I know it isn't an exact comparison to the actual 1st question but I had to respond. Lakland QC is much better IMO to Fender's. You usually have to play a few Fenders to find a good one whereas you usually have to play a few Laklands just to find a bad one.

Jeff

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I owned both.
    The Glaub is hands down, better than the fender.
    Better sound, playability,construction, better price.
    Also dig, string-thru option.
    Sold my fender, right after I got my Glaub.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    (IMO) That's the way to go!