Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Hollowbody on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Apr 21, 2004.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Gard, A.K.A. The PusherMan, strikes again.

I've been wanting something more old school with an insanely huge bottom to it. So I figure hollowbody.

Fully carved Mahogany back and sides with Maple top.

Candy apple red with rosewood board just like this.

[​IMG]

Should be a pantsflappin good time

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I havne't played any of the Skyline hollowbodies, but I have played a couple of the US made version. They are about as cool as you could want a bass to be.

If the Skyline version is half as nice, you've got yourself a great bass there, Mister!

I highly recommend TI Jazz Flats to compliment the thumpy goodness.

And, yes, Gard is very bad.

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    we're expecting a review and pics you know :D

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Awesome, can those get the Sir Paul Beatle bass tone?

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Rick - Good talking with you yesterday, your bass is sitting by the door waiting for the guy in the brown truck. Will be outta here this afternoon...

Honestly, blindfolded I think you'd have a tough time telling the difference. The Skyline HB is excellent. When they make a 5, I will own one.

The worst. Incorrigable.

...anyone seen a fretless Bongo 5 around here???

:smug:

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    :hyper:

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    when the 5 comes that may very well beat out a sadowsky as my future bass...... i really like mugsy's. what are we looking at price wise for the 5? Ric you and i are very similar. SR5's sm400s' you use EA and i use epifani...brother?

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That is the prettiest hollowbody out there. Man that's nice. Especially in red.

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Right on bro. You my friend have exquisite taste :D

It's going to be awhile for the 5. I was going to hold out for it but I e-mailed Dan Lakland and he said it wouldn't be out till late next year. I just couldn't hold the GAS for that long.

The only thing I can think of that would make this any better is if the bridge had those foam mutes that the old hollows used to have.

10. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i do have to say that this is one of the best looking basses out there. I was going to save up for a Jack Cassidy but hear horror stories about keeping it set up properly and lack of bridge adjustments. How much is this going to be?

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I got a really good price for it. But I don't think Gard would want me to post it here. Pm me and I'll let you know. Or call Gard at 800-545-8813
    BTW Dude Pit also carries them.

12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That might be tough to do. It's hard to mimick a 30 inch scale with a 34 inch scale.

Maybe with some foam under the strings and some well worn flats.

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Ooops, forgot to mention.
    I got the last one :D :bag:

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was interested in one of those, but wanted to match sure it could get it easily.

But with say, the tone off and and neck pickup soloed and a little palm muting would it get that boomy, hollow tone?

i like the Hofner' sounds and feel, but I also like versatility, and figured the Lakland would be far more versatile

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Rick, great score ! That GArd dude...He sold me a Conklin yesterday... he's too much !

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like semi hollow basses, i should give this one a try. It seems to be getting great reviews.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It seems their all over the $1000 mark new, thats alot for a mass produced import bass but i here the quality is their.

18. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Not to split hairs or any thing but this one is fully hollow not semi hollow. There is no center block that the pickups and bridge sit on.

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    these things were co designed by mike tobias. these are much more versatile than your run of the mill hollowbady. the bartolini's and the stout pre amp are great but the clincher is the neck. buttah. and me being on the bigger side( "bassmonkee calls me Mr.Blocksthesun") i like the big body of it. the more i think abou tit the more i like the idea of a jet black 5 string. mmmm

20. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    soooo......did you get it yet? Hows it sound? Any pics?