Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Hollowbody rubbernecking

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazuhank, Jun 21, 2004.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I finally got my hands on a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody on Friday (the UPS is either your best friend or worst enemy...) Inca Silver by the way. I was scheduled to play at church last weekend, so I brought it along on Saturday for fun and just set it on a stand thinking I'd use it for a swing jazz we were playing at the end of service. Anyways, the entire band kept asking what that beautiful bass was and why wasn't I playing it. So I strapped it on and ended up using it for all three services and was shocked by the responses I received. I had several people musicians and non-musicians alike hunt me down after each service to comment on the beauty of the bass. People were gushing over the bass more than I was.

My arsenal has been a revolving door (with the exception of my stock Stingray) and I have probably brought a dozen basses to this church over the last year or so, yet no bass has illicited the response of the hollowbody. It sounded amazing yes, that much I had planned on, what truely shocked me was the attention the bass commanded. And to think I bought silver because it was the only HB I could find in stock 2 weeks ago...

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep, it's a total beauty. I had a Candy Apple Red one,
    and that thing was just beautiful. How's yours put together? I wound up sending mine back cuz I think it was put together either on Monday morning of late Friday. :eyebrow:

There was a gap between the rosewood finger board and the neck on the bass side at "F" big enough to slide a credit card into.

One of the volume pots was scratchy. The other one at "10" had less volume than when it was at "8".

One of the tone knobs was crooked and the pickup selector switch was really loose.

Having said all that the tone was fantastic. If it had been put together better I'd have kept it.

It was really disappointing because I had heard such great things about Laklands QC. Maybe this one slipped through.

I will be trying another one one of these days though.

Where did you get yours?

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I' ve been admiring those from afar. Today I played the ibanez artcore. they are nice for the price plus they are set neck.

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Rick,

Brutal. I hate to hear that yours had issues. Thanks for reminding me to give props to the seller. I purchased from Dave at www.guitaradoptions.com when I ordered, he only had the inca and now has a beauty of a burst with a transparent back (I hated the all black backs on the earlier HBs). He had the best price I have seen with shipping and hard case included. PM me for details if you like. ;)

As far as my bass goes, I didn't find any glaring issues and am planning on running the bass through the ringer at home tonight. I have owned four Laklands ALL from the Korean Skyline series and all of them have been the top notch "can't believe its not US" quality that we all seem to read online. That said I'll get out the fine tooth comb tonight and post my results.

5. I play a Reverend so I like the hollow vibe but I played an Artcore and was pleasantly surprised. It felt good and sounded good. The hollow Skylines have piqued my curiosity; I may be forced to check one out.

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    BTW, I hear a 5 string Skyline HB is in the works but won't be out for quite a while.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you. I talked to the Lakland boys at the Crossroads Guitar Festival, and asked them about a 5 string. I couldn't get him to even comment on when/if a 5 string would be available. The best I could do was get him to agree that "years" is probably the most accurate description of when it "might" be available.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I know. I e-mailed Dan and at that time he said that they were so busy filling the orders they have that he hasn't even been able to sit down at the drawing board yet

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had my Hollowbody for about two weeks now, and I like it more with each passing day. I was reluctant to buy it, being concerned about the Korean built portion of it, but I must say that the fit & finish are perfect. The wood is of excellent quality, the candy apple red paint is flawless as is the assembly. The tone is KILLER and I love the coil tap switch. The single coil tones are sweet and lush and the humbucker tones dark and deep. What a great bass it turned out to be. It is my first Lakland but I doubt it will be the last.

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I returned home yesterday to find the new Bass Player with Geezer Butler on the cover with none other than a Lakland Hollowbody Deluxe.

It goes to show you when there is such a disparate group of artists have been turned onto this bass.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    being a lover of hollow body basses ( i own a Reverend 'Fish and a Jack Casady bass) i realli would love to try one of these Lakie.

what i do not like from the pics i have seen is that big hole covered with plastic in the rear control cavity.

could that "hole" damage the resonating factor of hollow bodiness?

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'd say no simply because this thing resonates like none of the other semi hollows I have tried (Keep in mind that the Lakland is fully hollow). I had an Epi Rivoli that was semi-hallow like your Cassady and the Lakland has more acoustic resonance than that bass or the Cassady basses that I played.

Also, unlike the other complete hollowbodies basses I have had/tried (some Beatle bass knock offs) the Lakland does not feedback. I don't think the control cover hole makes a big difference in the tone.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Does anyone have any sound clips of the hollowbodies? I am considering one, but there are none local.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd like to hear one too.

edit: preferrably with roundwounds on it.

15. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i played one when i was picking up my new aguilars. It was the stores demo and it had flats on there. WHOA!!! The tone was killer! A little feedback. I hope to be getting a red or sunburst one real soon. First time i played it i asked what the second switch was for and the guy said to go from active to passive :eyebrow: . then upon reading up on the bass it was the coil switch. Dumbass.
    How would/do you cure the feedback?

16. the lakland hollowbody is working its way closer and closer to the top of my "next bass" list.

17. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It has been decided.... a shoreline gold will be on it's way to me within the month!

P@

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

the Casady is a FULL hollowbody.

19. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Nope, the Casady has a solid Mahogany center block that the pickup is attached to. Tha Lakland has a carved top and is fully hollow like an upright bass or cello

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hmm...

I wonder why....

(Evil Gard strikes yet again)

:D