Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline issues.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hello,

Im having this issues with my skyline:

Frets have worn very fast. I have begun to have problems buzzing here and there, that had lead me to add relief and raise my action. The problem is that the tone changed noticeably.

I feel that the neck of mine is very soft and absorbs some of the attack of the E and B strings. And always

Recently... a DEAD spot appeared on the 9th fret of the G string.

Do all the skylines have graphite reinforcements? Or did the early production run, have none?

Well the thing is this. Shoud I sell it and get a new one with a maple fb (I want more attack and clarity/presence) or keep mine and just buy a new neck. (a new neck is $300)

I was also thinking on going for a Deluxe model instead. (Mine is a standard of the first run of Skylines)

Strings are not the issue. I just put a new set of Smith rock masters.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Change the onboard preamp batteries, get a pro set up, get a groove tubes fat finger for the deadspots.
    Also try the bass in another amp just to be sure yuo dont have a problem with your amp too.

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

5. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Atlanta
    In my experience Lakland provides outstanding customer service, and I would certainly not hesitate to contact them to discuss the issues you are having.

Dan and crew and the most responsive bass builders I have dealt with.

Best,
    jeff

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well yes. I talked to Dan.

I can replace the neck for $300

Thats it..

(You gotta remember... Im very far away)

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I think im gonna find someone in here that could do a fret dressing or maybe refret the whole neck with taller frets and a new Nut.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That sounds like a great deal. Your strings ate the frets and he's offering to sell you a replacement ... thats the perfect solution. You could try some different (less abrasive) strings on the next one.

Rip the frets out of the old one, fill the slots with some wood strips, and coat it with epoxy? :D

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats a good option too, assuming you won't miss the feel of the vintage wire. It'll probably cost 1/2 - 2/3 what the new neck would.

10. Uh... that's a horrid deal.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Really? When my modulus neck went south, they wouldn't even return my phone calls, let alone sell me a new neck! You can't really compare this price to something like warmoth, since this is a very specific part for this bass, thats garenteed to fit correctly, won't kill its resale value, and I assume would come with dressed frets and a cut nut.

I think its a stand-up move on the part of the manufacturer to offer a new neck in this case, and the price seems fair to me.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sounds like a reasonable deal to me too. :cool:

*Off Topic* I know exactly what you're saying about Modulus; if their basses weren't so nice, I'd never buy another. I was ignored by their "Customer Service" too. When I finally tracked them down via the telephone about an issue I was having with my Q-4 Anderson at Modulus told me I could return it to my dealer for a refund! :spit:

Dan Lakin sounds like a great people person in my book. :)