1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skyline J0 vs. US Fender Jazz advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by estringnyc, Mar 4, 2008.

1. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    One of these basses needs to be voted of the island. Which would you keep?
    2006 Lakland JO skyline black/maple neck with the fralin pups or
    '99 US Fender Jazz black/rosewood with upgraded badass bridge and S Duncan pups?
    Both feel and sound great but they are too similar to justify keeping both. Both are in equally excellent condition. I thought keeping the Lakland was a no brainer but after playing both the past couple of nights, I'm not so sure.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Need pictures :)

Want to flip a coin for this one?

3. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    I would pick the one that is lighter IMO. My JO was HEAVY. Nearly unplayably so. Since they are both going to nail the Jazz vibe, pick the more comfortable of the the two, or the one that "feels" right.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1

And if that doesn't help you make a decision, just pick the one that looks best to you.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Also, try to record them side-by-side and listen in different setting to see what works best.

6. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    That's probably part of the problem. My projects are idle so I'm not rehearsing or recording. Otherwise I could do what is probably the best test of all, recording and listening, especially at a louder volume than a practice amp.

7. HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    i feel your pain....been there and done that

the sound is pretty much the same, so pick the one that looks the coolest....

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Keep 'em both. Put flats on the JO for the vintage vibe of the Fralin pickups, and put rounds on the Fender to take advantage of the more aggressive Duncans.

9. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    Wish I could go on looks, I tried that test last night.
    -JO is black/black pickguard/maple neck
    (tried tortoise but doesn't look as good with maple as it does with rosewood)
    -Jazz is black/red tortoise pickguard/rosewood neck
    Thinking I could leave it to fate & put both up for sale and let go of the first one that sells.

Maybe I should just keep the one that my wife implants into my skull when the Pbass shows up.

10. flyman

flyman Whoa!!

Aug 2, 2005
    cincinnati, ohio
    Sell the JO to me ........ cheap :smug:

Regards,
    flyman

11. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    -Sb69coupe, that's a terrific idea if I can manage it.

-Maybe I should just give it to flyman and then all my problems will be solved.

What I really need to do is find a new line of work that keeps me away from the classifieds on this site.

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    that's a hard choice... I am glad I am not you. However, which one do you like playing more or would you consider the go-to

13. Hi There:

I have owned two Laklands so far; 55-02 with Barts and 44-02 with Lakland pre/pickups. I traded the 55-02 for a Modulus Q5 + cash because I didn’t dig the Barts on the bass (too dark and mid heavy for my taste), but apart from that the playability and overall construction was great. I still have the 44-02 and love it to death, my experiences with Fenders that I have bought sight unseen have not been pleasant; an American Jazz with a lump on the upper register of the fretboard and two (yes two, one after the other) new Geddy Lee Jazz Basses with faulty neck pickups (other than that great bass, killer sound). I still like Fender basses (own two; 74 Jazz and modified P) but as a rule I don’t buy them without trying them first, to me Fender basses are like those girls that break your heart and make you feel like dirt but you cant live without them (got to love Leo for inventing the instrument we play too :D:D:D). Now to the point; overseas Laklands have good sound, quality and a solid customer support. Fender US basses (well, any Fender product) have terrible customer support, poor consistency and average quality, but (and this is a big but) great demand and resale value. I have met many players who only know three brands of basses; Fender, Music Man and G&L. If you got a good US Fender I would recommend you to keep it, you can always pick a consistently good Lakland Skyline for cheap and have Dan + staff by your side in case you need them.