Skyline JO or Geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, May 6, 2004.

1. Wondering thoughts on these, the Sad. metro is more than i want to spend, and I would like to stay passive,which rukes out the KSD line,The Geddy is $900 up here I can get a Skyilne J.o. for another couple of hun. they both play and sound great, I am leaning towards the jo but wonder about the resale of a Korean Bass verse the Japanese,as older Japanese Fenders are starting to really take off, wondering if the Geddy will eventually do the same. Thanks
  2. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Korean, Japanese, Mexican, whatever -- IMO the Skyline is the better bass. I've played both of these recently, and I intend to get a Skyline Daryl Jones.

The Geddy Lee Fender I tried was pretty typical of modern Fender output: looked OK but the neck binding was very half-assed -- actually covered the ends of the frets! The bass didn't feel great, and didn't sound great.
    And I didn't know they were made in Japan -- I assumed MIM like the majority. I know what you're talking about w/ the MIJ stuff w/r/t "investment value" -- plus the MIJ quality is overall significantly better than the MIM.

In any case, though, the Skyline DJ just rocks. It's sleeker, more of a 70's J-bass, while the JO is more 60's-ish in contour and sound. But the JO sounds/looks/feels just as good as the DJ.

It's a question of what you're after in a foreign-made, mid-market, vintage J-bass replica. :cool:

BTW - the Geddy Lee can be had on Musician's Friend for < $650:
  3. obviously it won't be the same for every bass, but my geddy was flawless! i briefly played a jo but not long enough to give any sort of comparison. in my opinion the geddy was still the bass that i thought should have cost me a lot more than it did.
  4. I Believe it was fry who said your signature furio...
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Skyline JO.
  6. yes, it was.