Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline Joe Osborn 5 w/ J-Retro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Dec 24, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Looks like the Skyline JO 5 is catching on. More and more TBers are picking up on this great deal.

I just received one of these with a factory installed J-Retro and have been lightly breaking her in. This bass sounds great and is very easy to play. To start off with, I must say that even the bass's passive tone is great. You don't really need a preamp (I just had the J-Retro installed because the bass's price is so reasonable and I had some extra cash), the passive tone sounds as good or better than basses at twice the price. The playability of the neck is first rate. It has enough width without being too wide or too narrow. The neck is not at all chunky like the Roscoe Beck or Fender 5s. It's extremely easy to play for my small/medium size hands. One thing that I noticed right off is its weight. At 11 solid pounds, the JO is noticeably heavier than my F Bass or MTD 535.

For a Korean made instrument, the workmanship and finish is very good. I used to own a US made 55-94 Deluxe and can attest that this Skyline's quality workmanship is probably 95% of the US made basses.

You can pretty much nail the Marcus Miller or the traditional warm Jazz Bass tones with this bass running in passive mode. With the J-Retro engaged, you have more tonal possibilities with more bottom and highs than you would ever need. Then the semi parametric mid is another story (boost/cut with selectable frequency between 150hz and 3K). You can tailor the mids to suit your taste. The passive / active switch is also nice feature. One small issue is that you lose the blend function when in passive mode (only options are both pickups on full, or bridge pickup soloed). This minor short coming doesn't bother me when you consider all of the positive attributes of this preamp. For more info on the J-Retro:

http://www.j-retro.co.uk/

I highly recomend this bass if you're in the market for a quality Jazz Bass in the $1,000 to $1,300 price range.

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    c'mon gfab... you should know better!

where are the pics!

P@

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    OK, OK.

[​IMG]

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow... that looks great! I am almost thinking that I picked the wrong color for mine! mine is the sunburst.

P@

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No way pmkelly! Sunburst is very cool too! That's the color that Joe played for decades. You have the authentic Joe Osborn color scheme.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    they are both killer.... these basses are just amazing, my hand hurts 'cause all I've been doing is jamming and posting tonight!

P!@

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'm sure that Skylines are a fine bass, but in this price range, I can get a used Mike Lull, Pulcinella,Alembic, G&L etc and sometimes even USA Lakland for the same money. No way would I pay that kind of money for a Korean bass that will lose 50% of it's value the moment I get it. Just my opinion...

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thses day's you can buy a new bas sof all the ones you mentioned & they "will lose 50% of it's value the moment I get it." Just the crappy economy. :(

I really like the JO SkyLines. Congrats.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Brooks, that's cool and I respect your opinion. I buy basses for their tone, workmanship and playability. This bass fits the bill and has the tone that I was looking for.

Most of the time, I'm not very concerned about a bass's depreciating value because I don't plan on selling the bass. If one prefers a used Lull, Pulcinella, Alembic, or G & L, over a Korean made Lakland Jazz - then go for it and be happy with your acquisition. I'd be very supportive of anyone that went that route.

I've tried out all the basses mentioned except the Pulcinella, and they are all high quality instruments that have their own unique voice especially the Alembic. However, they didn't have the tone that I was looking for. This Korean made Jazz has the tone that I was looking for, so it's a better buy for me right now.

P.S. Brooks, your Blue Warmoth Jazz with the quilted / flamed top is awesome! Your bass looks just as good as, if not better than, many $3,000+ Sadowskys!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The JO5 with the J Retro does it me too. As for a used Lull 5 for $1000 - $1300, where?!

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Used Lull M-5's are still getting $1,400 or so but were $1,800 6 months ago.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I've been looking for one, and I haven't found one for less than $1500.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont know where you saw them selling for 1800 6 months ago but that hasnt been anywhere near my experience. i bought steven truisi's for 1400 last year after he had been putting it on bass gear for a while. i saw rob from this board sell a blue one for around 1400 on the bay. i couldnt give mine away at 1400 and sold it for 1250 around 6 months ago. i know jonathan starr and harleyy didnt pay anywhere near 1800 for theirs.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Harleyyy & Jonathan both paid $1,400 for theirs. Harleyyy then put a ton of cash into his to retrofit the Sims LED's in the neck and it's now for sale again at $1,800.

I sold 2 last year in the $1,750 to $1,850 price range do you want scans of the flipping sales recipts?

So sorry that you are disapponted in what you sold yours for...don't know what to tell ya!

[​IMG]

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    no dissapointment here, im just saying that what you sold them for isnt exactly representative of what the market for them is. aside from the 4 m5's mentioned that were 1400, thats what ive seen most of them for for the past year or so. the only one ive seen sell in the 1700-1800 range was the one funky bought on ebay, but that one had led's in it.

16. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've seen used Lulls go for between $1200 to $1450.. I just had a M5V that I let go for $1300.00 and it was sharp.. I can't understand why they aren't more popular and easier to sell...

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    CRAP! Where were the ads for these?! I still want to buy one. Where in the hell are these Lull 5's for $1200- $1400?!

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    check bassgear. they pop up there seemingly all the time.

19. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Woodchuck, if you are really looking for one, I'll drop you a PM when I see them. As a matter of fact, someone offered me a brand new Lull 4, CAR with matching headstock and hard case for $1450 few months ago.

gfab, thanks for compliments on my Warmoth. It's my main/only gigging bass right now.

Re. your choice of Skyline, if it works for you, great!

I was looking at it from a different perspective. There is nothing really special about Skylines. Standard production bass available with a limited selection of woods and colors, standard pups (except for Dude's sherwood green/matching headstock ones...I sure was drooling over those!). In other words, if it really works for you, why not pick up a 3-6 months used one at half the price?

It's not like an MTD, or Sadowsky etc, where there are so many possible combinations of woods/pups/electronics/colors that finding the one you want used may be tough.

At the same time, if there ever was a time when you could pick up a top of the line, US-made, slightly used bass at a really good price, this is it. I have never seen them go as cheap as nowdays.

It is hard for me to imagine that say..a slightly used Lull, with same pups and same J-Retro as used on a Skyline would not sound very similar (your sound) in a bass that is of better quality, and where depreciation has already been taken care of.

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I just saw a new one(trying to thin stock sale) for 1500. I was going to buy it, not that I needed it or anything, but it sounded so average. I guess that's why it's been there at this store for so long. I've noticed that the Lull's are really hit or miss basses.