Skyline Neck blew me away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 18, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Last night at a local bar i met a bass player who frequents the pit (Tony F) and when he finished his set i asked him how he liked his Joe Osborn skyline 5 he said he liked it alot and it just came back from Chicago from a set up so he handed it to me, Wow.This bass had one of the most flatest and comfortable necks i ever played, i really think the expression " It played like Buttah" really applys here. I didint get to try the bass pluged in but Tony sounded really great with it, anyone else around here playing one?.
  2. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I have a 55-02 which is actually the same neck as a JO5. I agree, this neck really smokes. It's a beauty to behold - both visually and feel.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have a 44-01 and the neck is one of the best I've ever played.
  4. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Kevin I'm Tony F on the Lakland forum. next time I see you I'll ask the band leader if you can sit in on a tune I'm sure it's cool. I've owned two 55-02s and a JO5 and I know the necks are the same but for whatever reason this neck on the JO5 does seem flatter. I'm getting my 5501 fretless anyday.I'll compare that neck when I get it. All the skylines are just killer when you factor in the price you cant go wrong.
    tony :cool:
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    +1. Ditto.
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I played a JO 4 Skyline today and I have to agree. Although a different animal than the 5 mentioned here, it was still very nice. I was 100% impressed- and that isn't something I say very often. ;)
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I own a skyline JO5 and I think they are great basses for the price. I see a JO4 in my near futur!:)
  8. I definitely like the profile of those Laklands. The only thing I'd prefer is a glossier finish... I'm a Fender guy, you can tell. But the fretless 44-02 I played a while back was just beautiful. Beautiful neck.

Hi Tony

It was nice seeing you the other evening, you were really rockin. Yeah your neck is killer, very flat just the way i like them.I cant wait for the chance to play it again. :) :bassist:
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cool discussion. I've tried a Skyline 55-02 and a Skyline Bob Glaub out. They both were a treat to play, their contruction quality was awesome, and they're a flat out steal price-wise.

I one day will own a 55-94, I've absolutely loved the ones I've tried, but if I get too impatient I'll forgo the wait and buy a Skyline 55-02.

- Art
  11. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    The neck was the main selling point for my 02. Couldn't decide on the 02 or the L2500... but when I put my hands on the neck I made my choice:)

Is it true that the same neck design is used on all of the skylines?.
  13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. I love the neck on my 55-01.