Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skyline or Groove Tools?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Jun 8, 2002.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Let's say I could get either a Lakland Skyline 55-01 or a Conklin Groove Tools 5 String for about the same price. I was wondering which bass you would choose because I can not play either due to the fact that where I live there a no music stores.

Just looking at the stats on the basses I think I would get the Lakland because of the 35" scale and the Bartolini pickups and preamp.

2. I have a Conklin GT-5 that I absolutely love. I've played Laklands before, and would much rather the Conklin. The Laklands are very heavy and big, with a very fat neck. Personal preference, but I'd go Conklin.

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I prefer the Laklands because of the spacing. I agree that the Lakland is too heavy, but I find the Conklins ugly and I do not think they sound good at all.

-Chris

4. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    go for the conklin :p

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I cast my vote for the Lakland. I have one and it is a great bass.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I'd pick the Conklin, but I prefer the more "modern" sound it has. Laklands will give you a more mellow, old-school sound compared to the Conklins. And the 35" scale won't make much difference as far as neck stability; the Conklin has a seven-piece with purpleheart stringers.

7. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Skyline series basses are great! Check out http://www.access-bass.com and hear some of the recordings Adrian posted, he also can get you a great deal =D

8. I own a GT-5 and absolutely love it. I can't compare it with the Lackland's since I haven't played one. But, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Conklin.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Its not really the stability of the neck that I am worried about, I just like the 35" scale for the tighter tension in the B string. I do like the fact that the Conklin has a 7 piece neck instead of the one piece construction of the Lakland neck.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Groove Tools have very good B strings too, due to the extremely stiff neck.

11. Id have to say Conklin. Although the lakland has the bartolini electronics and seems like the better deal, the playability on the conklin is superb. But I really suggest you play both because they both have their own tone and it really does come down to personal preference. You cant go wrong with whatever you choose though.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It looks like things are pretty evenly divided between the Conklin and the Lakland. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

13. Order them both, play them, and decide which one suits you teh best. Then send the other one to me.

14. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    There, see? Another brilliant solution from your friends at TalkBass, where we can solve ALL your bass-related problems!

15. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Great plan! Hey in the case that I hate them both I'll make sure to send them along your way.

I really wish I could play them though but I'm still looking for a store that has them around me. I come from a pretty musically deprived area.

16. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    (Beavis Voice On)

You said "due to the extremely stiff neck." Heh heh heh.

(Beavis Voice Off)

Sorry 1 too many Coronas and it's late. My Bad!

Seriously, Lakland all the way! Great sound and playability. Plus that input jack hump on the Conklin bothers me.

17. Thats something I forgot about! The jack lock is quite a nice feature IMO. Ive hurt the jack on my p-bass just by stepping on the cord. And, dont you hate it when youre jamming and you suddenly have no volume for no apperent reason and you finally realize that you stepped on your cord. Its a small a feature, but its those little things that make the difference in top end basses.