Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

skyline or nissan?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by turkish, May 17, 2003.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i was tihnking about the skyline series basses and my fovrite car the nissan skyline GTR R34 car and relized the connection.

any of you guys heard of the car they're fast, expensive, and made only in japan.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That train of thought just keeps on chugging.

brad cook

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one of my favorite all time cars ever.

i prefer the R32 though, as it was the fastest and smallest.

[​IMG]

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's something scary about the phrase "twin turbo". One is plenty, I couldn't even imagine 2.

5. Nah. Sequential turbos make sense. One for low RPMs so things don't lag to death. Big mama for top end wack. Actually makes a lot of sense.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Didn't the R32 lack the oh-so-tasty AWD? R34 V-Spec for me. :cool:

7. Yeah, I love them, when I played on Gran Turismo I bought a Skyline GTR V-Speck 98, modded it to heck, ended up being something like 939 bhp!

What a geek I am... but I do like Skylines. :p

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Apologies for crashing the thread, but this is the OT car thread of the moment, and I just had to share this... My boss just gave me the keys to his new Corvette Z06 to run an errand. Schweeeet! Got in about 12-15 miles on rural highways. Very nice combo of raw muscle and refinement. Turned off the traction control and let the tail out on a couple of corners, but it goes without saying that this is a car you'd want to get to know before getting too crazy with, especially since it's someone else's. I'd still opt for a Boxster S or Lotus Elise if I were shopping for a car in that price range, but the Z06 is a very nice piece of work nonetheless.

I think the grin on my face still looks like :D :D :D

9. Why get a skyline when I get to look at this in my garage everday? :D

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe have one that pulls the car to the left when it kicks in and another that straightens it :)

The problem with turbo's here in Oz is that the insurance companies hate em. You can hear em saying "tsk tsk tsk" as you add a couple of zeros to the cheque you're writing to pay the premium.

Didn't they try and put a turbo on a production motorbike once? BMW I think? Every time it kicked in, it would try and spit the rider into the gutter. It didn't catch on.

All cars feel slow once you used to bikes!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

nope, they had the same ATTESA AWD and Super-HICAS all wheel steering. same engine as the R34, as well.

12. Word about bikes making any car feel slow lol. But, I'm kinda spoiled lol.

Yamaha, Honda, and I think suzuki all made turbo bikes. I've never riden one....I'd be a little hesitant! But, I'd think a 400-600cc bike would be begging for a turbo. I've had a turboed/intercooled vehicle before....way super fun.

13. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    yeah the skylines are way outta my league

i'm tying to get an 88' rx-7 FC3S i beleive it is

stock turbo

drift!

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh nIIIIIIIce :D

one of the sweetest drives i've ever taken was in a pimped out '97 supra twin turbo...oh dear lord.

those skylines rock, though

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the FC RX-7 is a beast - just make sure your apex seals are in shape :)

for a cheap drift machine, nothing beats the 240SX or AE86.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Weren't the skylines actually relatively affordable cars in Japan? Like the G35 (which is called a Skyline:rolleyes: in Japan) is here in America? I've seen a bunch in Tokyo and they were sweet.

17. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    trueno!

if any of you guys are into drifting ( i am)

check out the anime initial D, it looks dumb and really is but is quite entertaining at the same time

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

oh man, i just downloaded/watched both seasons and the movie in the span of about 5 days. i kept saying to myself how bad it was but kept watching. it's one of those things that i don't like to tell people i like :)

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah, you can pick up a R32 GTR in japan for as little as 7-8k, but that same car imported/federalized by motorex in the states costs 20k. you can buy R34's in the states, too, but they're $$$$$.

www.skylinegtr.com

20. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    jason man you need to get 3rd stage, its the initial d movie and man is it cool go download it or buy it or whatever

he also races an MR2 in it